Please remove

eastwest

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 98.7%
73   1   1
Location
Calgary, AB
A friend of mine has an elderly in-law that is wondering about the identity and value of what appears to be a pepperbox handgun and a muzzle loading rifle; both appear to be candidates for antique status. I have attached the only pictures that I have (I have not handled either piece). I have been told that the rifle only has the word "LONDON" stamped on the barrel. The pepperbox has "Allen Thurber Worcester" and "ALLENS PATENT 1845" stamped somewhere (details were not provided to me). I know very little about antique firearms but would like to point him in the write direction so he knows what he has and can get a fair price if he decides to sell them. I do realize that condition is everything and these photos do not provide a lot of detail. Any comments and ballpark figures based on experience would be welcomed. If you are really interersted in knowing more on the history of the pieces, pm me your questions and I will pass them along. Thanks in advance.
 

Attachments

  • Pepperbox.pdf
    Pepperbox.pdf
    112.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Smooth bore.pdf
    Smooth bore.pdf
    108.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
cant help you with value, but pepperbox is definitely antique. Rifle may be as well. Find out if it has any other markings on it.
Definitely needs more detailed pictures.
 
A clear picture of the gun overall on both sides in good light. Then a picture of the lock on the gun and any other markings. Almost guaranteed if it's made in england it'll have more proof marks. Bore condition and overall condition is also important for determining value - these're both blackpowder guns so they could completely eaten out in the bore and be fine internally. The pepper boxes often have the nipples damaged. Information or pictures on the condition of the nipples along with if the gun functions correctly would go a long way in determining value as well.

That said, they look in ok condition.
 
I did a search on Gunbroker in the U.S. and they have four examples of the Allen& Thurber .31 cal six shot pepperbox. One was missing several parts and was going for $200.00, the others were complete and in various levels of condition ranging in price from $450-$799. You could suggest to your friend to have a qualified gun dealer look at both of those guns to get a better idea of actual value based on condition.
 
Back
Top Bottom