Powerbelt ML Bullets

grinrgrn

CGN Regular
Rating - 85.7%
6   1   0
Location
Westofthefifth
Opinions??
More specifically,have any of you ML hunters used the .45cal 225gr HP Powerbelts in a TC Hawken .45,1:48 twist?How was the fit/ease or difficulty loading,accuracy,performance on game,favorite 3F charge?

Alternatively,anybody have a source near CGY for .45 maxiballs/maxihunters or similar conicals?Ive been to BP,WSS,and Caroline Supplies.....can't find jack for .45 conicals other than the Powerbelts at BP or maybe experiment with pistol/rifle cartridge bullets....anybody tried that?
 
I use them in 50cal. The platinum areotip series are very accurate. Easy loading and penetrate very well. Shoot a deer in the chest you give him a new #######. I use 777 100gr or 150gr depending on rifle. The green tipped hollow ones flatten right out and didn't go thru a fawns chest at 20 yards. I've heard the same about the 45s
 
Opinions??
More specifically,have any of you ML hunters used the .45cal 225gr HP Powerbelts in a TC Hawken .45,1:48 twist?How was the fit/ease or difficulty loading,accuracy,performance on game,favorite 3F charge?

Alternatively,anybody have a source near CGY for .45 maxiballs/maxihunters or similar conicals?Ive been to BP,WSS,and Caroline Supplies.....can't find jack for .45 conicals other than the Powerbelts at BP or maybe experiment with pistol/rifle cartridge bullets....anybody tried that?

I would have serious doubts about the accuracy of these bullets in a 1 in 48". I would look at a Lee conical mold if I couldn't find anything already made. I used to shoot Maxi's with 60g of 3f Goex, and round balls with the same charge.
 
I ended up buying these(225gr HP) this weekend prior to any replies being posted,quite pleased so far,and while I didn't have a chance to send any thru flesh,blood and bone,I have a hard time believing that they or any reasonably suited bullet for that matter wouldn't pass thru a fawn's chest @ 20 yards??

Out of the box accuracy-I fired a sub 2",3 shot group at 50yds,standing position off of shooting stick,using 80gr 3F Goex for the first two shots,then 90gr for the 3rd(my usual hunting charge for 250 maxis).Considering that the front post/bead completely covers the bullseye and then some at that distance,I would say they flew exactly where aimed and couldn't expect any better and would have had no issue this weekend launching one at a deer's chest had the opportunity presented itself.As it was,the fourth and final shot I tried was Sunday evening to
discharge after 1.5 days hunting and hit a pop can at 60 paces offhand.125 yards or so is my comfort zone/max range,I would say they are easily MODeer accurate within that range.The fit to bore was also excellent IMHO,nice and snug in my TC with a clean bore,then progressively more fouling resistance for the 3 subsequent loadings.I bounced around over 200+km of gravel roads over 2 days of speed scouting,muzzle down in front passenger seat,checked several times(at each and every stop) and the bullet never moved off the charge whatsoever.
 
The green based hollow points flattened right out like a twoonie on the rail road tracks and stopped in the hide on the offside of the fawns chest. Did considerable damage going in. I prefer an exit hole and use the 338gr platinums. With a slow twist rate your range my be effected. If I hold 2' high I can group very well at 225 yards when using a magnum load. Happy huntin
 
Update:2 days after my last post^^ I let the air out of a 5x5 elk with a dbl lung/nicked the heart pass thru @ 100 yards.Lifelong eastcoast whitetail hunter that's wanted to hunt rutting/bugling elk in the Rockies for as long as I can remember,so even though the only trophy book it makes is my own,I'm pretty happy with it......and Powerbelts! ;)
 
congrats!
i use to use powerbelts then switched to different powder., different bullets and now kicking myself. after almost two years of messing around and having a heck of a time i think i'm heading back to the powerbelts.
 
Back
Top Bottom