Practical antique for wilderness defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My "bear defense" is a norico "outlaw" with 12" barrels in 12 guage, although if an antique pistol is really what you want, I'd guess a french 1873 bored out to accept 45acp would be the best bet. these things are tanks that can be loaded hotter then most antiques.... but yah still antique FPS not what I would trust to save my life. Good Zombie whoomper though lol. (sorry guys I had to enter the zombie factor to the ever reoccurring bear defense thread)
 
I don't have any antiques that would save my @zz out in the bush because they cost at least 2 times as much as a non-restricted gun...so I don't use them for that, and besides it might rain.
 
One of the worst bear attacks was a black bear near Algonquin Park in Ontario. Three teenage boys ambushed while fishing on a stream. At least one was partially eaten when the search team found them. A poor wild berry crop was partially to blame for the straving bears attack IIRC. It's a rare event for this kind of predation from a black bear, but you never can say with 110% assurance what may or may not happen in the wild.

I live in this area and will never go out unarmed again.

I'll take my chances with my "wimpy" just going to piss em off, Colt SAA.

Which is what I will be doing. If you must go antique, Webleys are cheaper but I hate their aesthetics.

What I actually would use if I didn't have the money for an antique would be a mare's leg. At least three companies make them and they are non-restricted.
 
It seems pretty obvious to me now that antique handguns and animal defence, just don't cut it in almost every instance, unless you are worried about squirels and bunnies. I lived this long with a stick and string, so odds are I will continue to live without any problems from critters. The Idea of an antique HG was based on convenience, something to have in the pack to only take out in a blind when calling .
So it's a done deal now, Save some money by not buying an antique HG, and continue as I always have. The other options are far to heavy and cumbersome for a longbow shooter to lug around.
Thanks for all the good posts and suggestions.
Pete
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom