Praying to the webley gods.....

Canada Ammo

Business Rep
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Location
Vancouver
I need info.....

Who sells new grips (repro ones)??
What about full/half moon clips?

If the cylinder has been shaved for .45acp, can I still use .455? If I can't use .455 where could I find a new cylinder?

Does anyone make holsters?

Any other info you boys think I need to know would be great. Thanks!!
 
Last edited:
This is copied from another forum, and it's not my post, but it may be helpful to you.

I don't believe you can fire .455 ammo in a shaved cylinder.

J

I am posting this message to alert the community to a new service being offered which restores revolver cylinders "shaved" to accept .45ACP cartridges in moon clips. The gentleman offering the service - Oren Truitt - is a US-based gunsmith with whom I have had an internet acquaintanceship for years - we have helped each other out on a variety of things.

I will let his e-mail notification of this new service speak for him -

As a Webley collector for years I cursed the barbarians who milled down the back of Webley cylinders to shoot .45 acp. After years of frustration I finally decided to do something about it. I am a professional, qualified gunsmith with over 30 years experience in repairing and restoring antique firearms. From a precision machine shop I have obtained laser cut steel spacers which I sweat solder to the rear of a Webley .455 cal cylinder and ejector. Then the edges are all dressed to match the profile of the original parts and to hide the seam. The seam may be slightly visible depending upon the condition of the cylinder.

This repair returns the cylinder and ejector to the proper length to fire the .455 cartridge.

I do not need the pistol, just the cylinder and ejector.

My restoration costs $150 plus shipping.

Oren's e-mail address is - o.truitt "at" att.net
(..... Of course, substitute @ for "at" .......)

I do note that Oren's e-mail only mentions Webley cylinders. While I'm sure that the majority of such shaved revolvers are Webley service revolvers, there are other .455 revolvers which have been similarly altered. If you have one of those, you'd have to contact Oren to find out if he can perform the restoration on that particular cylinder.
 
some of the repro grips are not very satisfactory. They are a soft plastic. If you just have chipped bottoms if is best to repair them with JB weld and then dye to match.

Capeboar on GB sells the odd original grip set for 60-100 USD.
 
Replacement 455 cylinders are generally tough to find and go for alot of money when available.

You could likely use 45 auto rim brass with your shaved cylinder without the need for moon clips. Otherwise moon clips ,repro grips are avilable on fleabay, gunbroker etc. IMA sells an inexpensive decent leather holster.
 
New grips here: http://www.gungrip.com/ ; and http://www.joesalter.com/listings.php?f_qrycat=Webleys

As DD said. the repro grips aren't great, real rough mouldings. I prefer repairing the original grips.

I've had best success with black epoxy. Works better for me than trying to dye it afterwards. Make a dam around the chipped part, fill the reservoir with epoxy and let it harden, then grind, file to shape and polish with steel wool. If the grips already busted you got nothing to lose anyway. Here's one I'm working on now.

0001.jpg


This one was a bad chip about the size of nickel that went past the grip retainer pin. Epoxy will be cured enough to shape by tonight. Note the repair that has already been done on the grip back edge was to repair a really ugly chip 2" x 1/4". That one has been rough shaped on a grinder and a hand file, I'll do the final polishing when both repairs are done.

You can't shoot .455 brass in the cut cylinders, but you can shoot .45 Auto Rim, which is my preference over the moon clips. Unfortunately there's not a lot or Auto Rim brass around right now, but we hope Remington or Starline will eventually get a batch run off since they both still carry it in their catalogues. I've got 400 on backorder.

The moon rings are kinda neat for fast shooting, the full moon clips are basically a speed loader, but faster because the ring stays with the ammo, you don't need to dispense the cartridges like you do with a conventional speed loader.

Uncle Mikes nylon holster for the large frame 4" S&W is a pretty good fit.
 
Last edited:
Thanks, jethunter. That looks like the best plan yet....

Thanks everybody else aswell!!!

Would everybody get upset if I said, I'm thinking about reblueing or maybe parkerizing it?
 
Thanks, jethunter. That looks like the best plan yet....

Thanks everybody else aswell!!!

Would everybody get upset if I said, I'm thinking about reblueing or maybe parkerizing it?

A pox be upon you!
Why not Duracoat it in coyote tan while you are at it?
 
Thanks, jethunter. That looks like the best plan yet....

Thanks everybody else aswell!!!

Would everybody get upset if I said, I'm thinking about reblueing or maybe parkerizing it?

If it's original finish and in decent shape I'd leave it, but most of the ones that come up from the US have been touched up with cold blue already at some point in their lives.
 
Last edited:
.45 Auto Rim will work FINE if your cylinder has been shaved.

I think Starline makes it now, but Remington made up a HUGE batch just before it went out of production, so there still should be some of that around. Pick some up fairly quickly: the world is littered with people like me. I thin the rims and use it in my Webleys: replaces .455 Colt and/or .476 Enfield perfectly!

Have fun!
 
If you neen full moon clips, there is a gentleman in the USA that sells them along with the tool to remove the casings from the clips. He will ship to canada and everything is brand new.

Using fullmoon clips and the fastest way to reload a revolver! Plus, in the Webley, using .45 ACP cases is WAY cheaper and more convenient than trying to find .45 Autorim cases!

Contact John F. Lyman at TheTarheelGunner@aol.com or LymanJohnF@aol.com.
 
.45 Auto Rim will work FINE if your cylinder has been shaved.

I think Starline makes it now, but Remington made up a HUGE batch just before it went out of production, so there still should be some of that around. Pick some up fairly quickly: the world is littered with people like me. I thin the rims and use it in my Webleys: replaces .455 Colt and/or .476 Enfield perfectly!

Have fun!

Both Starline and Remington still list 45 Auto Rim, but both are currently back-ordered on it. Eventually one of them is going to run off a batch.
 
If you neen full moon clips, there is a gentleman in the USA that sells them along with the tool to remove the casings from the clips. He will ship to canada and everything is brand new.

Using fullmoon clips and the fastest way to reload a revolver! Plus, in the Webley, using .45 ACP cases is WAY cheaper and more convenient than trying to find .45 Autorim cases!

Contact John F. Lyman at TheTarheelGunner@aol.com or LymanJohnF@aol.com.

Have you used these rings in a Webley? Just windering if they worked okay or not.
 
I find that Brownell's Acra-Glas, the liquid stuff, works fine for old grips and there is black stain included in with it. I have also used the Acra-Glas Gel with the black stain and it works fine, too.

I think that the gel would be fine for small repairs, but you might be better off to use the liquid if you are repairing a thin crack of casting an entire new grip panel.

At your local gun shop.

Mix a bit of fine sawdust with it, degrease the original surface with acetone on a wipe and you can even use the Acra-Glas to repair BAKELITE, which is well-known to be repair-proof. Discovered this when my Dad cracked a friend's antique radio, knocked a chip out of it. Repair was invisible when done.

But you still get it at the gun shop; radio shop doesn't stock it!

LOL!

Have fun!
 
I've been meaning to throw these up FS on the EE once I figure out what they are. I got a set of these Webley grips from Collector firearms that are a bit too small for my Mk2.

http://www.collectorfirearms.org/website Images/Webley & Scott/bu-1050.htm

Should all Webley birds head grips be the same size? Are there some models that would be shorter than others?

Them are nice Grips they should fit all Birds head Webley grips from MKII to MKV are all the same size as far as i know.
Maby the shurnk or something.
In what way are the smaller?
 
Maybe they are for a WG or a MK I?

The grips I got from Collector Firearms were not identical to the ones in their photo, and they did not take the listing down when I bought them, so I'm guessing they have a bunch in stock.

There is nothing special about them, probably made in the 70's, plastic injection mold.

They are not shrunk, all the points line up except for the gap at the top. The bottom contour lines up with the frame, the little guiding pin hole is in the right place, the hole for the retaining screw is in the right position.


Gap at the top.

Imgp3612.jpg



Original grips.

Imgp3613.jpg


Franzite grip on top of original. All lined up except for the right side (top).

Imgp3615.jpg


Imgp3617.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom