pre64 win94 saddle ring carbine

lots of bluing on the barrell, patina on reciever rubbed off, wood good but a couple of large dents on side of butt stock stock. I don't think the wood is redone, hammer seems like new. sin # engraved on bottom of reciever. butt stock and ring still vg. Looked at this today held it in my hands, any body think there is collector value left in it. What wold be a fair price to list it at?
Serial # is 6***** about 1910 or less.
 
Last edited:
If the bore is very good I would say around $600. Others may disagree but that's my 2 cents. You didn't mention calibre, I assume .30/30 or .32 special if it's a .38/55, a little more, .25/35 or .32/40 a little more than the .38.
 
yes it is a 3030 I should of said the butt plate and ring are VG. the dents are in the butt stock

In that time frame the stock is probably linden or gumwood not walnut, it dents really easy. Apparently there was a shortage of walnut in the early 20th century and gumwood was substituted, though only on carbines as rifles were sometimes ordered checkered and gumwood was too soft to checker. That's the story I got anyway. You can steam them out with an iron some.
 
In that time frame the stock is probably linden or gumwood not walnut, it dents really easy. Apparently there was a shortage of walnut in the early 20th century and gumwood was substituted, though only on carbines as rifles were sometimes ordered checkered and gumwood was too soft to checker..

Must be a different gumwood than we use around here. The gumwood that I know and that is sold in hardwood stores is a type of eucalyptus and is as hard as the top of God's head. Amongst other things it is used to protect the sides of boats from commercial fishing gear bashing against it and along the water line for ice protection. Also at the bow where the anchor comes up.

cheers mooncoon
 
Must be a different gumwood than we use around here. The gumwood that I know and that is sold in hardwood stores is a type of eucalyptus and is as hard as the top of God's head. Amongst other things it is used to protect the sides of boats from commercial fishing gear bashing against it and along the water line for ice protection. Also at the bow where the anchor comes up.

cheers mooncoon

Don't really know where the gumwood name comes from, just heard Winchester guys call it that. I think it is linden and some call it boxwood but it is soft like pine and thousands of 92 and 94 carbines were stocked with it from 1900 or so to after WW1. Obviously not the same wood as you're describing.
 
Back
Top Bottom