Price check and info on a snider two band

muddywaters

Member
Rating - 88.1%
35   5   2
picked this old guy up at a garage sale and was wondering if anyone can help me out as far as value and information on it. I know its a two band model but is missing the firing pin. are they hard to get? thanks!
dated 1872


snider.png
[/URL][/IMG]

snider1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

snider2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
Probably need some better pics.

A good solid unmessed with Canadian marked example would probably go for about 950-1100 around these parts.


Observations...

It almost looks like a brass nose cap and butt plate?
Yours has the wrong clearing rod
No butt swivel but does have a sling mount on the trigger bow
Appears to be missing the breech latch?
Cannot tell if wood has been repaired or sanded based on the pics
Cannot tell condition of metal with respect to pitting/rust etc
Cannot tell bore condition.
It appears the nipple for the firing pin has been sheered off?

I would suspect that (assuming the wood and metal is ok) that it would be around $4-500
 
Last edited:
There appears to be serial# by the back sight. This makes me think it is Portugese contract model or one made for the East India Co. The barrel bands seem the wrong distance apart for a normal two band.I also can,t see a bayonet lug. A better picture of the lock would help. Thanks John.
 
It sure has been around the block so to speak. For the most part I value a Snider by the condition of the bore, good bore and I'll pay (the rest can be fixed). If the bore is rusted out it isn't worth much IMO. The last one I got (EE purchase) has a minty bore and is in excellent condition other than the stock has be "sported". I payed $550.00 shipped to my door.

 
Back
Top Bottom