Price check on Ruger Old Army( Pic added)

tokguy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Location
Buffalo Republic
I've got a chance to buy a Blued Ruger Old Army. It looks to be in good shape; some bluing gone in the normal wear spots. Wearing a set of rubber aftermarket grips & a trigger pad / shoe attachment that widens the trigger. Is 350$ a fair price?
I'll be sure to post pic's if I get it
Thanks
tokguy
 
Last edited:
That would be a fair price here in the States as well. I lucked into one for a bit less last year, but I consider it to have been luck. Man, timberhunter isn't kidding about ROAs being great guns - and accurate. I've got a low-grade lookout for another one, just because.
 
I was looking on a web site in the States and they were going for about $450-$500,you can't go wrong for $350 and if you don't like it it would be easy to sell. They don't make them any more but like someone said they aren't Old and they were never sold to the Army but they are one of the best cap and ball revolvers EVER made.
 
Got it for 300 $.:)
But I'd say it's a shooter not a show'er.
I wish the original grips were included though:(
And the finish on the cylinder doesn't match.
When the transfer is through I'll post pic's
 
These ROA's are as strong as a bank vault.
Read a story of an American BP enthusiast that was given FFFFG (priming) powder from a fellow shooter that recently sold his traditional flintlock rifle. Seems this curious fellow loaded the ROA chambers with this FFFFG under the pistol round balls(!!!) And he fired two shots. The first had stiff, but manageable recoil, on the second shot, he felt something wet on his face. It was his own blood from a cut, just above his shooting glasses. The percussion cap disentigrated completely and one piece of it had hit him. He stopped shooting and pull the remaining loads. Also the hammer was pushed completely back from the 'back blast' energy! He could not find any visibly apparent damage to the revolver.
Not an endorsement to this foolishness at all. Just a hint of the ROA's inherant strength.
 
I know the gun you are talking about it shoots very well even though its been well used no problems I could think of .Unless I'm wrong you are buying it in Med hat ?
 
I know the gun you are talking about it shoots very well even though its been well used no problems I could think of .Unless I'm wrong you are buying it in Med hat ?
Yep; the guys at the Outdoorsman said it came from an estate sale. I wonder if it was Alf's...moment of silence.
I just broke it all down and it's OK for the price. I'm sure the Pachmayr grips and the wider trigger shoe ( Term ?) help it shoot better but I'll be looking for a little more traditional grips.
I'll get a few pic's tomorrow if the flood waters f--k off. It certainly is massive compared to my Navy.
M-201008.jpg
 
Last edited:
If it is Alf's I'm glad to see that came to someone that knew him and will get some enjoyment out of it.

Congrats on the purchase. A minimum of care and it will shoot better than you can for another generation!
 
I have a Ruger Single Six and it has the trigger "thing" as well,could be removed with a small Allen wrench. I bought mine used so I don't know if the trigger is stock or not.
From the picture it looks like it is ready to shoot,how do you like it as a shooter???
 
It's good to shoot so far. I usually run .454 round balls with 25-30 gr of FFG; black or Pyrodex through my Navy, it's as hot of a load as I feel comfortable with.
That load in the Old Army is about the minimum; the ramrod bottoms out seating the ball on the charge, it obviously needs more. I've read of guys running 35-40 gr of 777 behind 200 gr conicals at 1100 fps, through lower grade solid frame wheelguns. That's equal to 45 long colt apparently. Heck that's matching the WW factory load in my 38-55!
The this gun should handle as hot of a charge as I'd like; but running at the red-line isn't really my thing.
Question though. Do all old army's have hex style nipples; or has someone modified mine?
 
I had a chance to compare Triple 7 with Goex BP using a chronometer and with 20 grains and a .375 ball in my .36 1851 the Triple 7 clocked at 973 FPS and the BP at 753 FPS. The conclusion....Triple 7 is faster.
 
Yep; the guys at the Outdoorsman said it came from an estate sale. I wonder if it was Alf's...moment of silence.
I just broke it all down and it's OK for the price. I'm sure the Pachmayr grips and the wider trigger shoe ( Term ?) help it shoot better but I'll be looking for a little more traditional grips.
I'll get a few pic's tomorrow if the flood waters f--k off. It certainly is massive compared to my Navy.
M-201008.jpg

Sorry took me awhile to get back yes it was Alf's I'f you get it too shoot half as good you will be pleased I have seen him keep all ten rounds in the black one handed at 25yrds with many in the 10 x with that gun He will be missed thats for sure he was a great pistol shooter and a firm friend
 
Back
Top Bottom