Price Check- Stevens 44 in 32-40

I suspect a significant portion of its value will be the sights, assuming they are original. If the bore is good, I am guessing in the $500 to $700 range. You do want to stick to moderate loads with the gun. Not long after the gun was made in 32-40, a high velocity cartridge was marketed and the model 44 did not stand up well to them

cheers mooncoon
 
Nice rifle. It is a 44 1/2, not a 44, and is a true falling block with a forged frame.
Can't help you with value but the 44 1/2 is much sought after if in good condition. Stevens made them in many variations from 1904-1916. The particular model number should be stamped on the front face of the receiver, under the barrell.
 
I'd be jumping up and down like a kid with a bag of candy in each hand if I scored a setup like that. What a great rifle and in such nice condition!

And yeah, this is a serious rifle. You can see the size of the falling block and the rub marks from the shoulders in the frame. This same action has actually been re-barreled to accept some still small but newer calibers. The reports are out there if you search the web. I've come across them but never saved the links.
 
Nice find. The Stevens 44 1/2 is a nice rifle, and the .32-40 is a great cartridge. I shoot a CPA reproduction of the Stevens 44 1/2 with barrels in .32-40 and .38-55. As a matter of fact I just got back from the range with mine a few minutes ago :).

If you want to learn a little bit more about your rifle check out the ASSRA web forum.

Chris.
 
Back
Top Bottom