Price difference in .22lr and .22wmr

caperaway

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 99.1%
109   1   0
Location
Alberta/NS
I don't get it. I realize there should be some difference in the price because of the difference in case length and the amount of powder but the price difference seems way out of whack in comparison to the extra brass and powder.A person can almost buy 9mm for the price of .22wmr. You would think .22wmr would have a price closer to it's little brother. The availability of cheap bulk packed .22wmr would increase the popularity of the cartridge exponentially imo.
 
I'd hazzard a guess that the majority of firearms owners in Canada own at least one .22LR pistol or rifle. I personally know a lot of people that own a 9mm, but I don't know anyone that owns a .22wmr.

I think you can chalk it up to demand. If importers are bringing in 20 times more .22LR and it's already cheaper to manufacture you're going to see a big price discrepancy.
 
But how does that explain the fact that I can still buy .300 savage rounds and other "not-so-currently-popular" rounds and they are priced the same as other rounds of their power range? Far more .30-06 guns out there, yet .300 savage ammo costs about the same? I always wondered that too. The price of the ammo is the sole reason I've never owned a 22 mag, and unless the ammo becomes more reasonable, I'll probably never own one. (since factory ammo is the only kind available)
 
I'd hazzard a guess that the majority of firearms owners in Canada own at least one .22LR pistol or rifle. I personally know a lot of people that own a 9mm, but I don't know anyone that owns a .22wmr.

I think you can chalk it up to demand. If importers are bringing in 20 times more .22LR and it's already cheaper to manufacture you're going to see a big price discrepancy.

Yes but if ammo was reasonably priced many more would step up to the .22wmr.
 
Yeah it's kind of ridiculous, but not as bad as .22WMR's baby brother, the .17HMR...

One part is the sheer volume of LR that is made, compared to the volume of WMR that gets made and sold annually. Far more competitive in the LR arena. Less demand=less throughput through the factories= less availability and higher prices.

Add the cost of a jacketed bullet, to the equation, for the WMR.

Now add in the cost of an actual, name brand .17 caliber bullet. If you can get those for less than $20/100, share a source ! :)

The .17Mach2 and the .17HMR both suffer from that particular cost.
It's not just about the brass and powder by any means.

Never gonna be as cheap to shoot anything, like the .22 Long Rifle is cheap to shoot.

The HMR and WMR ammos ARE reasonably priced, for the performance they offer. Reload a Hornet (about the closest CF ammo in performance) with jacketed bullets and do the math. At $4 for a hundred primers, $20 for 100 bullets,more or less on average, and say, 10 grains of powder per case, roughly, so say 1/7th of a can of $40 powder, say, $6. That's $30 (padded upwards here) for 100 rounds, without costing in brass. If you don't need the performance, stick to Long Rifle. If, on the other hand, you want a little more snot out of it, and don't want to reload either, the WMR starts to look a lot more like it's reasonably priced.

Cheers
Trev
 
Same as any other not so common calibre...
Look at through the pages and see the common refrain
"Where is all the ...ammo" Where is it? That's why its harder to find
because its not common. Of course, if it is common that can provide its own set of problems.
 
It really isn't that terrible as to price when you compare apples to apples. CCI stingers run $6+ or - a box which by many acounts are the top of the line hunting 22L.R.. I am buying 30 grain CCI wmr for $11. These are 2200 fps with 30 grain ballistic tip bullets. If you compare the step up in preformance to the step up in price the wmr makes perfect sence. It is a recoiless reasonably quite true 100 yard no hold over varmit plinker. I love mine, it has killed hundreds of gophers and is great to pull out when I am letting my centerfires cool.
 
I just find that for the .22 wmr, it is quite expensive for a non-reloadable round that can be used in my convertable cylinder revolvers. If you could reload it , fine. But, I still think that 10 bucks or more is too much for a box of RIMFIRE ammo. even if the bullet is outside lubed instead of inside lubed/stepped like the .22lr
 
A jacketed bullet, as found on the 22 WMR and 17 HRM, is considerably more expensive to manufacture than a lead bullet, as found in a 22 LR.

But you should also consider the price of "Match" quality 22LR, which can easily go for $100 to almost $200 per brick....
 
Back
Top Bottom