Price of ammunition through time.

Hercules Surplus store in Toronto, had 303 British surplus ammo in 45 gallon drums at $0.05 per round( Oh, that was back in the late 70's).
On payday I'd buy a bag full at a time, take it to the farm on the weekend, and have a BLAST! Those were the good ole days.
Does that count?
 
Up above my head as I type this is an empty box/50 of Dominion 38 S&W, and a "Griffins Guns Peterboro and Belleville Ont." price tag of $1.20.

Added: Dominion 8mm Mauser box/20 "V. Mawson's Sport Shop" originally priced $6.30, reduced to $5.67

Sorry, no idea of the year, but post-war.
 
Hercules Surplus store in Toronto, had 303 British surplus ammo in 45 gallon drums at $0.05 per round( Oh, that was back in the late 70's).
On payday I'd buy a bag full at a time, take it to the farm on the weekend, and have a BLAST! Those were the good ole days.
Does that count?

That puts me on the verge of crying at not being alive in the 70s...
 
Up above my head as I type this is an empty box/50 of Dominion 38 S&W, and a "Griffins Guns Peterboro and Belleville Ont." price tag of $1.20.

Added: Dominion 8mm Mauser box/20 "V. Mawson's Sport Shop" originally priced $6.30, reduced to $5.67

Sorry, no idea of the year, but post-war.

Sorry, the Dominion 8mm doesn't count, Mawson's has always been overpriced!
 
So far the evidence I've seen (with the exception of surplus and other blips over time like the price of bricks of .22 skyrocketing as of late) points to ammunition becoming relatively cheaper over the years.

In a local museum, I cracked open an early Eaton's catalog (20s or 30s) they had for people to flip through, and I remember thinking that the ammunition was disproportionately costly when compared to the guns they were fired in.
 
I remember a store in vegriville ab called Mutual surplus had drums of .303 brit and you bought by the pound. As i remember a coffe tin was about $2.25.
For about 25 bucks you could by a surpus lee enfield and a coffee can of ammo.
 
What Ièm trying to piece together is a relative cost-to-worked time for ammunition.

I quite often see high ammo price, not unusual you would reply.

Here it is. I checked the price of 1000 rounds of quality 308. Retail 400 ish. That means that the typical american would have to work a full 40 hours week to buy that much ammo. Since we are in a nice production society and all one would think you could get it a low price.

Someone answer this please, how many hours would a man/woman had to work back in time (say 1920) to buy that much ammo? I'd like to do the exercise of calculation about this topic.

Any thought?

My thought is that anyone in the 20's-40's would have to work pretty much their entire life to afford 1k rounds 308, time machines were much more expensive back then :p


(308 Win didn't get released until 1952)
 
Back
Top Bottom