priming powder

wlj

Member
Rating - 100%
279   0   0
Location
summerside pei
Hi Folks...just a question as i'm not sure...i know that i should use 4f powder to prime the flintlock, but will 3f work in a pinch...just trying to locate some 4f now...

thanks for any info....

Wayne...
 
Yes.
I couldn't justify buying a $30lb can of FFFFg to prime with. I only own one flint lock. And am already 34 years old.
Its a bit slower (more delay) but it works fine for me.
I actually bought a pan priming flask so I set to work with small amounts of FFF and a stone mortar and pestle and carefully, gingerly broke the granules down a bit....but when I ran out I didn't bother doing that again I just started using FFFg.
 
I have used both and 4f works better but if it is at all damp out 4f will gum up easier and wont fire. I prefer 3f for this reason and havent had any issues with it.

McLean
 
I use 3F almost exclusively for priming; can't be bothered carrying an extra horn. I also have noticed enough of a difference in performance to justify the need for 4F. I do keep some handy in case I dry ball (perish the thought) as it is easier to get through the vent hole
I have used 2 F for priming and it is noticeably slower in ignition

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom