problem with model 1858 made by Peitta

kgs

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Location
Prince George
So far gun works great the only issue I have is the loading arm comes loose when I shoot the gun. I have resorted to using some black tape to hold it in place when I shoot; is there a fix for this maybe a stronger spring. Any suggestions on how to remedy this problem.
 
I have an 1851 Uberti which has a very strong spring at the end of the loading lever.,it takes about 5 pounds of force to retract the catch. If the gun has a lot of rounds through it the catch may be worn and could be restored with some careful filing.
 
Thanks Skinny The gun is in great shape not sure how many rounds went thru it however the barrel appears to be good. I suspect someone had bought it then fired it a few times and it then sat in the gun cabinet for a long while. Looking at the loading arm I agree I will probably have to file that hook hinge a bit so the arm piece can push in more. Looks to me as it at least another 16th or bit. I will try that although its a very small area to file may need to seek out some tiny files lol
 
Last edited:
Could the spring that forces the catch forward be jammed with a bit of sand or something like that? Or is it just not engaging the notch at the front of the barrel correctly?
 
It latches ok its just when I fire it that the loading lever detaches. Big pain but I have noticed after looking at it more carefully that it might be a fit and finish issue. I have spent some time filing the latch so it fits better and I think I my have fixed the issue. I will take it out today and try it.
 
Well I took my gun out and after filing it still comes loose when I fire it.. I will see if I can buy a spring for it maybe that will help. I guess this is to be expected on a gun that I recently discovered was made in 1968.
 
it also depends on your load- if i use the full 33 grains of ffg in my old army, the loading lever will unlatch every time- mine uses a collar and "anvil " arrangment, and to fix it you would have to either get a longer collar, or drill a small hole in the center of the anvil and put a small set-screw in there to extend the nose of the anvil- that is, provided the spring is up to snuff
 
Back
Top Bottom