Alrighty folks - I've got a .65 cal smoothbore flinter barrel that I've finished fitting the breech plug to and I need to proof it. Normally I'd patch up a round ball and double the averaged load data to test with with a rifle barrel, but since this is a smoothbore, flintlock in a weird caliber, those are three variables I've never had to deal with for proofing. The round balls all weigh around 410 grains.
My initial thoughts are that for a 410 grain ball a 65gr load would be normal, so a 130 grain proof load would be acceptable.
SO.
Thoughts on the 410gr projectile and 130 grain proof? Single firing at test or double? I've gone with two shots at proof loads in the past, but this barrel isn't as thick as the others either.
P.S. standard precautions are being taken, IE Barrel strapped to a sled, shielded and bermed, remotely ignited etc etc etc.
My initial thoughts are that for a 410 grain ball a 65gr load would be normal, so a 130 grain proof load would be acceptable.
SO.
Thoughts on the 410gr projectile and 130 grain proof? Single firing at test or double? I've gone with two shots at proof loads in the past, but this barrel isn't as thick as the others either.
P.S. standard precautions are being taken, IE Barrel strapped to a sled, shielded and bermed, remotely ignited etc etc etc.
Last edited:


















































