proof of status/ Date of Manufacture: Webley Pryse

H Wally

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
193   0   0
Wondering if anyone knows details on the Webley Pryse? I don't think they were made much (if at all) past 1885, but could use some sort of reputable source, or reliable input from a board member. I'm looking to import one and could use information (approximate dates of manufacture, which model of pryse this is etc) I don't know much about these guns.

I know of some smaller sites for identifying proof marks, but none refer to the pryse, as they're mainly belgian oriented.

The details are:

This is a large frame Webley Pryse revolver manufactured by Hollis &Sons under license from Webley, in London some time back in the 1870s. Good overall condition, working action, nice clean bore with good rifling. Some original blue is still remaining on the barrel. Chambered in .450 adams. Double action only.

pix2211605484.jpg


pix2211604593.jpg


pix2211604734.jpg
 
I can't find any info in my books that will help you out here. My suggestion is to stick with it and don't be detered. You could call one of the techs at CFC and talk to them about it. As a word of encouragement I recently got a nice Webley WG model de-registered that many people said couldn't be done because of its 18,### ser #..........and I now have the Antique status paper work for it. Good luck.
PS. They wanted good pictures of all the marks on my Webley and some of those marks were the determining factor.............apparently.
 
I tried to get an antique letter for 2 revolvers identical to this one and was unable to get the CFC to issue. The tech said I. Hollis and Sons was registered as a business past 1898 so they would not issue the letter without some documented proof of manufacture prior to 1898. If there is a source of dating info on the I. Hollis revolvers, I could not find it.

Is this revolver one of the ones on Gunbroker? He is a great guy but might be incorrect when he tells you these I. Hollis & Sons revolvers were all made by Webley. Some were madein Belgium

Here's a link to an earlier thread on the same subject. http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434153&highlight=pryse
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom