Proper Rifle Chamber Cleaning

Hastur

New member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi everyone, I wanted to check, I usually run a patch or two of boretech rust xp in the chamber and bore to keep rust away between shooting sessions. Are running dry patches enough to clean this out for another session (at least 2 weeks after rust xp application if not more) or should I run patches of mdt gun cleaner a few hours before a range session to flush anything out? Want to make sure I am not increasing bolt thrust accidentally.
 
Dry patch after storage.
Shoot the rifle to confirm zero.
Go hunting.

Never do anything to the chamber or bore while out hunting or between hunts, unless you have a mishap or something.
Finger cots and or super 88 electrical tape over the muzzle is what you should do when out there hunting.

If you have a mishap, do what you gotta do, but frankly that’s why you have a number 2 rifle ready to fill in, till you can foul your other rifle.
 
Basically my planned cleaning regimen after shooting was:

Run boretech eliminator and patches/brush until clean.
Dry patch out.
Run patch or two of borerech rustxp through chamber and bore and store.

Store for mininum 2 weeks.

Now the question, after that period the rust xp would have dried and left that anti rust substance, would the chamber and bore need to be cleaned out with isopropyl and mop or would running dry patches be sufficient to prevent any increased bolt thrust (ala oily cases/chamber)?
 
OP......seems nobody wants to directly answer your question....I'll try.
I do not use the specific product that you are treating your chamber with. Once the chamber is clean, I believe anything other than a wipe with G96 (or similar CLP) should be removed with a clean patch to avoid the "oily chamber" you are concerned with.
 
Which, again, has nothing to do with the OPs question......sheesh......
Not totally true, but I see where you’re going, that said why does he need to clean/oil/anti rust is bore and chamber so often?!?! I mean really it’s none of my business but discussion in a discussion forum is the reason we are all here .
 
Cleaning without a proper inspection first is pointless IMHO. This is where a bore scope helps with a real world decision. If it's not needed don't do it.. If it is needed then.. I'm sure others will be along shortly to say how to do it and what fluids to use.. But I'll leave that mud wasp nest for others to step in.. Cheers
 
I clean my barrels ! THEN I clean the chamber with a large style MOP with lighter fluid on it and then with another clean mop with some 100 % alcohol on it to remove any residue .
I also clean the lug chamber with a another tool from Sinclair 👍 it used the cotton dentist swabs .
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1984.png
    IMG_1984.png
    105.8 KB · Views: 11
I've heard good things about this, i think it was a recent article by John Barsness recommending it highly. You can leave it in overnight cos there's no acid or ammonia in it to affect the steel. Meaning it has longer to work. Makes sense to me, I have a can now but have yet to try it. Soon. View attachment 1214736


It did definitely make things easier and make cleaning faster back when I thought rifle barrels needed to be cleaned and not just oiled/protected

Although I guess if you enjoy those hours its not a loss haha
 
When I clean the rifle before storage, I use a chamber mop with a little bit of clp just to make sure there is a little oily film to protect (just shiny not wet) I also pass a patch of clp in the bore for the same reason. When I take it out , I run one or two dry patches before going shooting. I put a sign in my cabinet that says "Swipe before usage" so I do not forget.

I also carry a boresnake in my case just so that if I realize that I forgot swiping once I'm at the range , I then pass the cord once b4 booming. It happened more than once.. I know, I'm old.
 
It did definitely make things easier and make cleaning faster back when I thought rifle barrels needed to be cleaned and not just oiled/protected

Although I guess if you enjoy those hours its not a loss haha
Good to know. On the subject of hours spent cleaning, we are today a culture neurotic to the point of illness - mental and physical - over matters of cleanliness in general. (Take note for instance how a majority of television commercials today are pushing cleaning products on us, floors, bathrooms, our bodies. It's all very sick.) I'm sure gun people are not immune. I don't clean my arms very often. My primary concern after returning from my day is making sure they're dry - pull the bolt, prop the thing over a heat duct, sorted. I do notice some copper fouling in the grooves at the muzzle of my .375 and am looking forward to trying this wipe out stuff. Maybe tonight. Best stuff i have found for external rust by the way, speaking of oiled, is not an oil at all:

1790692582563.png
 
Good to know. On the subject of hours spent cleaning, we are of course a culture intensely neurotic to the point of illness - mental and physical - over matters of cleanliness in general. (Take note for instance how a majority of television commercials today are pushing cleaning products on us, floors, bathrooms, our bodies. It's all very sick.) I'm sure gun people are not immune. I don't clean my arms very often. My primary concern after returning from my day is making sure they're dry - pull the bolt, prop the thing over a heat duct, sorted. I do notice some copper fouling in the grooves at the muzzle of my .375 and am looking forward to trying this wipe out stuff. Maybe tonight. Best stuff i have found for external rust by the way, speaking of oiled, is not an oil at all:

View attachment 1214743

Heard really good things about that as well!

My only hang-up has been that I've been told that it seeps into wood and makes a stock very difficult to refinish?

Whatever makes people happy... It's like spending a whole Saturday afternoon cleaning the 2 tons piece of scrap metal in the driveway...

True that!


Not knocking it at all. If people enjoy barrel cleaning, have at er! Fire up some good music or a podcast. Pour a dram of something nice and amber. Get ol betsy's bore and chamber shiny.

I just don't think theres a need is all. But yeah, theres not much NEED for lots of what we do haha
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom