Proposed Black powder storage regs

One must realize that THE NRCAN-ERD lives in a rarefied atmosphere. The ministers and even senior bureaucrats dare not tread the halls of the black art of explosives. They know best, they are the experts. It is time they become the focus of much greater scrutiny by the shooting public, lest they NWO us out of our sport.
 
Unless I missed it, this info still has no source other thatn someone here says it is so. Someone please show this techno idiot the source.
 
OK, this might sound like a silly question...

But when they are talking about "Black Powder", do they mean "black powder" or do they mean "black powder substitute"?

For a reason or another, I always thought that stuff like "Pyrodex" by Hodgdon fell under the same rules/regulations/shipping/storage guidelines as smokeless powder.

Personnally, I don't know of many individual who still use "black powder"

I only use BP in my double shotty and use 2 different grades depending on the target

Black power is far superior to pyrodex in many ways,lower ignition temperature, ease of clean up, less senstivity to ambient temperature, and most importantly it is less corrosive which is important for the life of a firearm.

2kg of black powder is a little more than 4 pounds anyone with a number of bp guns will need more than this quantity, especially those people with flinters who may need 3 different grades.

Don't assume that black powder substitutes will be considered rifle powder, we have yet to see an official document outlining the proposed changes.

Just "Who" is the stake holder anyway they certainly do not speak for me.

tg
 
It is just info coming from those in touch with NRCAN

Understood, but even perusing NRCans site reveals that any proposals or amendments to existing explosives regulations are to be published and included in the NRCAN "gazette".

In addition, I would suspect changes to storage regulations will more than likely change import regulations as well. Because really, if you can't store 8 kgs of Blackpowder, why should you be allowed to import that amount? Hmmmm.....
 
You won't find anything on the net. It is just info coming from those in touch with NRCAN

Maybe because it is not new information, just a rehash of the BS from a few years ago the the "reliable source" just found. If it was new there is no reason for it not to be available to the public.

Understood, but even perusing NRCans site reveals that any proposals or amendments to existing explosives regulations are to be published and included in the NRCAN "gazette".

In addition, I would suspect changes to storage regulations will more than likely change import regulations as well. Because really, if you can't store 8 kgs of Blackpowder, why should you be allowed to import that amount? Hmmmm.....

Weapontech, exactly, I agree 100%, where is this coming from?
 
The current scope of NRCAN is to "harmonize" with "International regulation". i.e. UK and Australia. Basically these guys spend their days going to conferences and they want to feel like one of the gang.

I have had copies of draft regulation for 2 years. It is scary stuff; No surplus ammo, huge restrictions on magazine qty/distance, etc.

They are already starting, you can see the changes in the authorized explosive list.

BTW when you import powder you have to have a licensed magazine, given the qty, anyway. So the changes have far less direct affect on importers.

BTW I know for a fact that these are new regs/consultations. The senior admins from the gun groups were meeting with the heads of NRCAN to discuss, as recently as last month. Why this has not been announced, I do not know.
 
They are secretive to avoid being challenged and once the regulations appear in the gazette, they are a done deal regardless of whether or not there are claims that the regs are open for consultation.
I think the best solution is to complain to Harper and to Van Loan and point out that to date there are only two instances of significant amounts of powder going off, both apparently involved an obsolete and banned powder (because of deterioration) and both involved amounts of smokeless far in excess of the legal maximum.
I think it is also wise to point out the fallacy of the statement that black powder is "considerably more powerful" than smokeless and note that smokeless must never be used in traditional black powder guns because of the pressure it develops.

cheers mooncoon
 
Which incidents are you referring to?

It is going to take a bit of searching of my records of who and where; I think the information came from Dennis Young when he was with Gary B. There were two incidents a number of years ago, both back east and I think in Ontario. One was a spontaneous combustion and several but not all cans in a case exploded. Powder was stored in the fellows basement and the powder which spontaneously ignited was a military surplus powder which was not supposed to be sold at the time. Reason for the ban on the sale was that it had a reputation for deteriorating. Total amount of powder was over 100 lbs and may have been as much as 200 lbs.
Second incident was a house fire of unknown origin and there was as I recall around 100 lbs of powder stored in that house. No injuries in the second fire and can't remember about the first fire.

It is worth noting that one of the rationals for limiting powder ownership is to prevent its use in IEDs (presumably pipe bombs) and yet those normally use no more than one pound per bomb and I don't recall any incidents of large number of pipe bombs being seized or found. The only large scale IEDs that I can think of are pipe line bombings apparently using dynamite, in northern BC/Alberta. Even the Sons of Freedom I think used dynamite back in the 1950s

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom