Purchasing Ammo in USA and Exporting to Canada?

brgun78

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Ontario
I am a resident of Ontario and am interested in purchasing ammunition in the USA. Does anyone know the process for doing this legally? I have been told that an export permit is required to do this, and also been told that you need to be a U.S. resident. The quantities would be personal in nature (i.e. 1000 round case every few months). Does anyone know the regs on this?
 
I am a resident of Ontario and am interested in purchasing ammunition in the USA. Does anyone know the process for doing this legally? I have been told that an export permit is required to do this, and also been told that you need to be a U.S. resident. The quantities would be personal in nature (i.e. 1000 round case every few months). Does anyone know the regs on this?

I don't know the exact regs on this, but I'm going to go out on a limb, and say it probably isn't worth your time for the quantities you are describing.
 
Ammo must be exported through a US Registered Exporter. The US exporter is the one who must submit the US paperwork. The regulations are such that there is very little difference between exporting ammo or a firearm.

Also it is not the ATF that regulates firearm/ammo/component exports, it is the US State Department.

See here, one of the site sponsors. http://www.davessports.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=9&Itemid=64
 
It should also be noted that the particular (as in exact) make and part number of the ammo must appear on NRCAN's approved list in order for it to be imported.
 
"...affect anything in this process?..." Nope. One has nothing whatever to do with the other.
"...US exporter is the one..." And only after you send the Canadian import permit. That you'd need for each and every transaction. The U.S. export permit takes several months to get as well.
In any case, 1,000 rounds every few months would attract the attention of one or both governments. They'd be suspicious of a guy exporting ammo that often. Even though 1,000 rounds isn't that much.
"...NRCAN's approved list..." Yep.
 
It is a long difficult process to get an export permit for ammo from the USA.

Unless you plan to export a large amount it is not worth it.

And don't try to buy it and bring it across anyways. If you get caught by US officials ( Roving border patrol who set up road blocks on the way to the border) you will be charged and your vehicle confiscated etc etc.

Trust me on this :mad:


I am a resident of Ontario and am interested in purchasing ammunition in the USA. Does anyone know the process for doing this legally? I have been told that an export permit is required to do this, and also been told that you need to be a U.S. resident. The quantities would be personal in nature (i.e. 1000 round case every few months). Does anyone know the regs on this?
 
Back
Top Bottom