pyrodex and large pistol primers?

deerslayer83

Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Location
Montreal
Hi, I previously posted in the reloading section but didn't get any responses..
I've been told that pyrodex is harder to ignite than the Holy Black..Leading to misfires or delayed fire in some cases.Will a large pistol primer be sufficient to ignite granular pyrodex (RS) ? It will be used in magtech 12ga brass shotshells..
I was thinking 60-70 grains(volume) of P-RS under 1 to 1 1/8 oz of no 6 shot, with nitro card, fibre wad (both 11ga) and a 10 ga overshot card.They will be used for grouse...Thanks for any advice!
 
Hi, I previously posted in the reloading section but didn't get any responses..
I've been told that pyrodex is harder to ignite than the Holy Black..Leading to misfires or delayed fire in some cases.Will a large pistol primer be sufficient to ignite granular pyrodex (RS) ? It will be used in magtech 12ga brass shotshells..
I was thinking 60-70 grains(volume) of P-RS under 1 to 1 1/8 oz of no 6 shot, with nitro card, fibre wad (both 11ga) and a 10 ga overshot card.They will be used for grouse...Thanks for any advice!

You will have no problem using Pyrodex in your 12ga brass shotshells..As a matter of fact, your brass and load's are what I use when I reload for Cowboy action....I also put a thin bead of Elmer's white glue around the over shot card....A large pistol primer is what Magtech brass takes and I have never had a misfire.....

Pyrodex is harder to ignite and that's why it is better to use blackpower in flintlock's, but I haven't had a problem using Pyrodex in cap n ball revolvers and percussion muzzle loaders.....
 
re pyrodex

I was using pyrodex before I got black powder in 45 colt and in the brass 12 gauge shells, I didn't have any problems with ignition, however later I chrongraphed the 45 loads, full case minus 1/4" , so very little compression and i found there was a significant higher velocity than with ff goex
just my .o2
 
Back
Top Bottom