Pyrodex vs Blackhorn

powdergun

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
I've read a lot of good things about Blackhorn powder but the price tag is way up there. Does it actually outperform good old Pyrodex to warrant that type of cost ?
 
Yes and Yes to both questions. I used Pyrodex for 8 years then switched to Blackhorn 209 2 years ago and would never go back. No more of the crud ring problems and much easier to load and seat the new sabot down on the powder charge. I have a TC Prohunter and a Knight Mountaineer and they both run the stuff great. I find it alot more consistent on the FPS also, no where near as spread out as the Pyrodex was. I know it's dear but I use mine for a week out of the year on a controlled deer hunt so it doesn't bother me that much in my wallet.
 
x2 to what rifleman said.
Yes, the Blackhorn is dear, but the cleanout in the field is much much easier than either the pyrodex or the triple seven that I've run previously.
When you have lots of running water around for the cleanup it doesn't make a big difference, but I was having trouble even swabbing the bore between shots with the other two, and it seems like I could nearly load all day without a major cleanup using the Blackhorn 209.
Hope that helps. If you're in the Peterborough area and want to give it a whirl send me a pm.
Cheers,
DavidS
 
The beauty of Blackhorn 209 is that you don't need any special type of muzzleloading bore cleaner as they recommend using whatever you would use in your centrefire rifle ( Butches, Hoppes or whatever you have on hand).
 
Do the savage ml muzzle loaders that use smokeless provide a real advantage over the black horn ? That is to say other than the convenience of smokeless would the savage shoot faster/further/more accurate etc...
 
Back
Top Bottom