Question about Antiques

daviddillion

Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Just a question about guns classified as antiques. Its my understanding currently that guns classified as antiques can be bought by anyone in Canada, without a license. Is this true? Furthermore, if that antique gun is still functional (as in shoots bullets), is it still treated as an antique, as in someone without a license can buy it?

Thank you
 
Yes. Must be 18 yrs old. If gun is used for any illegal purpose, it will be the same penalties as if a non-antique firearm were used. Safe storage and transport regs still apply.
 
Are they also not an issue for a violent offender to own or with a firearms prohibition order holder ect?

I have a hard time believing the law would be fond of said individuals being in possession of an antique arm.
 
antiques are still firearms for the purposes of court ordered bans on possession. There was a case here in BC, several years ago where a person who was banned from owning firearms was convicted of owning one or several antique guns. The issue as I understand it was not that he did not have a license nor because the guns were not registered. The issue was that the ban prohibited him from possessing firearms with no exceptions noted

cheers mooncoon
 
It also applies to "certain" modern rifles if they are "replicas" of antiques.

The one that comes to mind immediately is a flintlock rifle. Even if it rolled off the line at Pedersoli or Invest Arms (Lyman) yesterday, if it's a "flintlock rifle" it is considered a replica "antique" and you do not require a PAL to purchase.

I routinely have black powder barrels shipped from the US to Canada and likewise there is no ITAR restrictions (at least on the slower twist barrels), and although clearly indicated on the customs forms as a "black powder rifled barrel", Canada Customs has no issue clearing them for delivery (although they do grab some tax if the cost was over 200 bucks) - but no PAL or anything needed for clearance.
 
Thank you everyone for their input.

So from what I understand so far, I can for instance own a functional webley that is classified as an antique, without a PAL or any other type of license?
 
Thank you everyone for their input.

So from what I understand so far, I can for instance own a functional webley that is classified as an antique, without a PAL or any other type of license?

yep but if you buy a .45 acp converted webley that I needs very light smokeless load and cast bullets no factory ammo as its twice the proof pressure of the MK 6 webley let along the MK 1 or MK 2 that were used with black powder ammo. you would have to load this ammo your self
 
yep but if you buy a .45 acp converted webley that I needs very light smokeless load and cast bullets no factory ammo as its twice the proof pressure of the MK 6 webley let along the MK 1 or MK 2 that were used with black powder ammo. you would have to load this ammo your self

You got that right. I have a MKII, I spend more time tinkering with bullet casting and loading for this gun, than all my modern pistols combined!
 
Would someone save me some time drifting through the regulations by detailing the requirements for "safe storage" for antique weapons. I've seen many historical weapons proudly displayed on desks and walls. Thanks.
 
Would someone save me some time drifting through the regulations by detailing the requirements for "safe storage" for antique weapons. I've seen many historical weapons proudly displayed on desks and walls. Thanks.

Pretty simple, keep them unloaded and your good to go. Display them anyway you like, no locks required.
 
Hello everyone,

Just a question about guns classified as antiques. Its my understanding currently that guns classified as antiques can be bought by anyone in Canada, without a license. Is this true? Furthermore, if that antique gun is still functional (as in shoots bullets), is it still treated as an antique, as in someone without a license can buy it?

Thank you
As said above. Answer is yes unless you're under 18 and or prohibited from posesión of weapons... but you will have to reload for the ammo. Can't use store bought for most part and regardless of that you do need PAL to buy ammo.
 
Back
Top Bottom