Question about buying a registered antique

Well I have an update on the registered antique. I phoned the CFC explained my situation, they confirmed the Webley was registered and I asked about the process for an antique status letter but end the conversation understanding nothing can be done until the owner goes through deregistration. Interestingly enough a couple of days ago I got a antique status letter in the mail. The dealer still has possesion of the revolver and more interestingly I spoke with the dealer who recently spoke to CFC and it appears the Webley has still not been deregistered.

The letter was generated well before his conversation with the CFC. What a conundrum - the CFC now officially recognizes the gun as both antique and prohib??
 
Well I have an update on the registered antique. I phoned the CFC explained my situation, they confirmed the Webley was registered and I asked about the process for an antique status letter but end the conversation understanding nothing can be done until the owner goes through deregistration. Interestingly enough a couple of days ago I got a antique status letter in the mail. The dealer still has possesion of the revolver and more interestingly I spoke with the dealer who recently spoke to CFC and it appears the Webley has still not been deregistered.

The letter was generated well before his conversation with the CFC. What a conundrum - the CFC now officially recognizes the gun as both antique and prohib??

Based on my own (limited) experience and also anecdotes from numerous people here at CGN, the RCMP routinely issue antique-status letters, sight-unseen, to people who don't own (yet) the firearms they're inquiring about. In this case, it seems like a "left-hand doesn't know what the right-hand is doing" sort of thing. It might be useful to have the dealer fax the antique-status letter to the desk that does firearms deregistration, that might speed things up a bit.

I hope you get your Webley soon!
 
John Sukey!! Now, even you would know the answer to your question about the Bess.....it all depends on the length of the barrel, whether or not it has been painted "black" and how many rounds it will hold in the magazine. How lucky you are to live where you do. I am going to PM you. Dave

Hmmm.... Sea Service muskets were painted black, took a bayonet, could be loaded with multiple projectiles.... You could also lace on a hanguard, or "barrel shroud" :eek:
 
What if you are buying an antique gun, which fully fits the description and indeed is an antique, but without an RCMP antique letter? Isn't there a chance that a gun was stolen, or had some bad history?
 
Last edited:
Isn't there a chance that a gun was stolen, or had some bad history?

Well first off guns are seldom traumatized by thier history so not to worry that your new antique will need expensive counselling, sedation or be prone to fits of violence or depression.

As for the potential the the gun has been stolen at some point in it's history? Always a possibility but I don't think it is a signifigant possibility. Just don't buy guns from shadey characters who obviously are not 'gun guys' and who offer you two crates of russian vodka, a hardly used set of car speakers and a box of assorted harley chrome in addition to the antique in question.
 
Back
Top Bottom