Hi Smokers.
I'm busy putting an old muzzle loading percussion shotgun back into service. It has been a lot of work and more to come.
But something I noticed a while back has me scratching my head.
The gun is obviously antique, English, barrels marked "Perkins London Fine Twist"
While worn, the twist pattern is visible in the top rib, but for the life of me, and no matter how hard I look with a magnifying glass, the barrels look like fluid steel.
So questions. Any chance that this shotgun could have been made after the advent of fluid steel barrels? Or that it could have been rebarreled back in the day with the original top rib used? The barrels are marked 13 gauge and well marked with Victorian proofs.
Have any of you seen barrels that you KNOW to be stub twist or good Damascus in which no trace of said manufacturing technique is visible?
Thanks eh?
I'm busy putting an old muzzle loading percussion shotgun back into service. It has been a lot of work and more to come.
But something I noticed a while back has me scratching my head.
The gun is obviously antique, English, barrels marked "Perkins London Fine Twist"
While worn, the twist pattern is visible in the top rib, but for the life of me, and no matter how hard I look with a magnifying glass, the barrels look like fluid steel.
So questions. Any chance that this shotgun could have been made after the advent of fluid steel barrels? Or that it could have been rebarreled back in the day with the original top rib used? The barrels are marked 13 gauge and well marked with Victorian proofs.
Have any of you seen barrels that you KNOW to be stub twist or good Damascus in which no trace of said manufacturing technique is visible?
Thanks eh?


















































