Question about Pietta .36 cal

simpleman

Regular
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Location
Omicron Theta
Hello,

Was wondering if someone could help me with a start load for a Remington 1858 revolver in .36 cal

I have Swiss black powder and a flask with a 15 grain spout .

Pietta says max/min of black powder is 9-12 grains suggested load. With 22 grains being max.

People I speak to here say 12 grains isn’t enough powder and ball will not seat and leave air gap(which is bad). And to start at around twenty grains. Which sounds like a load for 44cal.

I am so confused,and I’ve really gotten fond of hands over the years and would prefer to keep them. Some help from more experienced people would help.

Thanks.
 
Last edited:
I have two 36cal Uberti, Hartford and a 62 pocket and my load is 10 grs of 3f Goex with a 30 thousand card wad, quarter inch felt wad with .0376 ball with bore butter over the ball. You don't need a lot of powder to push a 50 gr ball out the barrel. I can put them in the black at 25 yards. I use a similar load for my 31 baby dragoon.
 
I make my own wads out of felt boot insoles. I find they shoot better with wads. Wads fill up the space in the cylinders so no air space. Some people use cream of wheat I find if the ball is closer to the forcing cone accuracy is better. My balls are seated just shy of cylinder mouths. Fill the cylinders and a cap and ball should shoot better. I usually try different combinations to see what works best. I have 1860 Colt that loves 20 grs with a 454 ball with lube over the ball. My second 1860 likes a .030 card wad under the ball. Both Uberti's just 5.5 and 8 inch barrels. The little 36's are fun to shoot. I like knocking tin cans around with them. Newbies to BP usually like because of the size and low recoil.
 
Back
Top Bottom