Question about shipping ammo

troutseeker

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 99.8%
413   1   0
Geez, I just tried to ship some ammo via DHL and hit some roadblocks... First, Class and UN# were required (no big deal), then they tell me I need a permit from Transport Canada??? Is everyone else having the same issues or are they picking on me?

Thanks, Troutseeker
 
I've shipped small quantities (100 rounds or less) via Purolator no problem. Since they computerized the paperwork it won't accept the dangerous goods declaration even though the computer screen has a checkbox. The clerk just phones someone higher up and it goes. I suspect Transport Canada may be concerned about large quantities, but then again DHL might just be blowing smoke.
 
CANPAR does not-
"What not to ship" Explosives or dangerous goods of any kind (except for consumer commodities as defined by the Dangerous Goods Act)
 
Ammunition is classed as a consumer commodity. UPS only ships ammunition if you have a commercial account with them.

Ryan
 
Geez, I just tried to ship some ammo via DHL and hit some roadblocks... First, Class and UN# were required (no big deal), then they tell me I need a permit from Transport Canada??? Is everyone else having the same issues or are they picking on me?

Thanks, Troutseeker

I had the same problem and I found a very simple solution. I don't ship ammo, I ship metal parts, tools, machine bits, name it. Just make sure that the parcel is very solid. Rigid cardboard boxes with a lot of duct tape always did the job. If it is a domestic shipment nobody will x-ray or open it. BTW the idea was given to me by somebody working for UPS.

:cheers: Kazimier
 
I had the same problem and I found a very simple solution. I don't ship ammo, I ship metal parts, tools, machine bits, name it. Just make sure that the parcel is very solid. Rigid cardboard boxes with a lot of duct tape always did the job. If it is a domestic shipment nobody will x-ray or open it. BTW the idea was given to me by somebody working for UPS.

:cheers: Kazimier
:rolleyes:
Dont be suprised when it blows up and you get arrested or sued. I hope you have a good lawyer.
 
CANPAR does not-
"What not to ship" Explosives or dangerous goods of any kind (except for consumer commodities as defined by the Dangerous Goods Act)
LOL!!!
Tell that to Marstar. Cuz that's all they use. Actually they are one of the cheapest / quickest shipping company's for ammo & supplies. If they tell you other wise laugh at them and get there manager on the phone. Make sure to label it UN 1.4 and also have a 'limited quantities' on it also.
 
:rolleyes:
Dont be suprised when it blows up and you get arrested or sued. I hope you have a good lawyer.

When last time did you hear about a parcel with 100 rounds of hunting ammo blew up? However I agree that if I'm cought I'll be in trouble. You see, some laws and regulations are so stupid that they ask us to brake them.

Regards, Kazimier
 
LOL!!!
Tell that to Marstar. Cuz that's all they use. Actually they are one of the cheapest / quickest shipping company's for ammo & supplies. If they tell you other wise laugh at them and get there manager on the phone. Make sure to label it UN 1.4 and also have a 'limited quantities' on it also.


We have been over this in detail in other threads but canpar delivers my wholesale items but when I packed up 5000 primers that they had previously shipped to me they would not ship them to my customer.

Direct from there site its pretty easy to understand they do not ship firearms powder primers or ammo.

http://www.canpar.ca/en/ship/what_not_ship.jsp

Anyone who uses this service is misleading what is in the box and will suffer the consequences if there are an issues or problem

My business model is to do things the correct way not the cheap way, that way I can sleep at night.

There is an exception for comsumer commodities but last time I checked with canpar which was less then 2 months ago they would not ship what I wanted... even ups turned me down because I dont have a comercial account with them it was only DLH who would ship the primers and it was expesnive shipping rates + 30 dollars dangerous goods fee.
 
I emailed canpar and asked them about shipping ammo. I asked if there was additional hazmat fees and if I had to label the pacakge a certain way. I got the following response from them:

"Dear Customer,
There are no additional charges for shipping ammunition nor do you need to label the package differently."


I then called to double check and was told the same thing.
 
The email and phone conversation with customer service was pretty clear (which is what they suggest you do, in the link you provided)....they will ship ammunition, there is no additional fee and specifically said to not list the contents of the package. They also said that although they will ship ammunition, they will not ship firearms.

If you are suggesting that by ammunition, they think I meant bullets....that makes no sense to me. To the general public, "ammunition" and "bullets" both mean ammunition. Only reloaders think of bullets as just the projectile.

As an aside, a month or so ago, I ordered 1lb of powder and 500 primers from SIR/Cabelas (along with a few other small items). I asked about the shipping fee, thinking it now has to go by courier and be designated as dangerous good etc and was told that that only applies to bulk orders. It ended up being shipped by Canada Post wtih the rest of my order. Cost me about $10 for shipping.
 
I ended up not shipping at all, concluded the deal another way. I am in no position to risk getting in trouble which would escalate to serious trouble due to hge nature of my employement...
 
:rolleyes:
Dont be suprised when it blows up and you get arrested or sued. I hope you have a good lawyer.

Hmmm, you seem to have enough posts and trade rating to be considered "knowledgeble", however your above statement clearly shows otherwise. The odds of ammo "exploding" while in the mail are astronomically remote. I can't even recall a single incident ever that ammo exploded in Canada. If it has happened, please point us to the information.

Odds are better that someone didnt properly wrap and package the box with the contents spilling out.
 
Back
Top Bottom