Question about the US Civil War Mullane shells. . .

fat tony

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
111   0   0
Are there any records of The Royal Navy using Mullane shells with any of their Rifled Muzzle Loader cannons in the 19th century? Specifically, the 2.94" Mullane shells. . .

A1849A.jpg


A1849C.jpg


A1849D.jpg


Someone I know found one of these, or something very similar to it and I have handled it numerous times. It was found in the cliffs adjacent to 5 Islands Provincial Park. Sadly, it was discarded decades ago. - I read up on these and found that according to some anecdotal reports they were notoriously unreliable, and mainly were used by the CSA - why would one have been shot into a cliff in the Bay of Fundy?

What is more, my impresssion was that the RN was known to use only reliable munitions, why would they be dicking around with Mullane shells on RN Warships?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom