Question about value of a black powder rifle

fredqc

Regular
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
Hi,

one of my friend has a very nice black powder rifle that has been custom made by a know armorer (M. P.Chevalier) that make rifles for reenactors. He doesent like black powder rifles, so he want to sell the rifle and equipment he has. Any idea about the value of the kit? He shot it about 15 times and says it is very accurate.





Thanks, Fred
 
That looks like one of the Connecticut Valley Arms kit rifles that you pick up and either get a gunsmith to put together or do it yourself for a very reasonable price. The front and rear sights are not part of the kit and would cost a couple of hundred by themselves. The rifle kit is around $325 the last time I looked. Add another $250 for the rest of the kit and that would be approaching top dollar.

The black powder firearms market is much smaller than the rest of it and as it is a niche market you may be holding onto it for a while. Especially if you go with fraserdw's estimate. I like the way he puts his estimates so high. Things must be very pricey in NB. I will be sure to give him first dibs on the items I sell.
 
I think that it is a very nicely built rifle that makes no pretence of being a reproduction of an antique. No doubt a fine shooter. Probably a much nicer rifle than any currently available generic muzzleloader. Probably an easy sell at $500. Add more for the accessories.
 
Look closely at the in letting, the quality of the wood the lack of browning.it has a repro tang sight but was it mounted just into wood or drilled and tapped into a steel tang .600 max with all the stuff
 
It's a CVA. Nice gun but they aren't high quality. I sold some recently around 300. With the extras and being flintlock I'd say between 4-500$
 
I am going to go along with the low end crowd. $500 for the gun and another $100 for all the rest. The question is not what did it cost to make but how much can it be sold for. The stock to my eyes appears to have good inletting but the overall shape lacks the lines of a original or a good replica of same. In BC, if you were shooting it in rendezvous type competitions, it would need a open style rear sight as tang sights are not accepted for our competitions

cheers mooncoon
 
I think $500 with all the stuff is a high estimate for all the reasons bearhunter and below have stated. It's a used flintlock with target sights, tell your friend to take your $300 and you're doing him the favour...shoot, enjoy, repeat.

BP collectible antique guns still fetch good coin, this is not the case here.
 
I just purchased this rifle off the OP, ran into this thread while looking for flintlock info. Most defiantly not a CVA. It has a L&R lock on it and a .40 Green Mountain barrel, the finish work is actually very high quality, everything is inletted nicely in the stock, etc. The barrel appears to have some sort of finish on it similar to the other metal parts, not blued obviously but it appears to be a patina of some kind. Haven't shot it yet, but the bore is nice and shiny so I imagine it will be shoot okay. Very much barrel heavy and the front sight is a little higher than I would care for, but overall a nice rifle.
 
Back
Top Bottom