question for the round ball shooters .58 cal

Mine likes the combination of 60 grains ffg, .570 ball and 15 thou lubed patch. This works for most targets on our trail out to about 70 yds. For the 165 yd moose I go to 90 grains and still hold about 12 inches high. Just got a .575 mould and will use the same combination for starters.
 
I use 10 thou under bore diameter and decide on patch thickness on the basis of how hard it is to start and ram the ball. For a 58 cal I would probably start with around 70 grains of 3F and go up or down on how well it grouped on paper. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule as to patch thickness because it will vary with rifling thickness. I do try to stay with .015" or thicker because I feel it is less likely to perforate when being shot

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom