Question on BP granulations

vega

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Location
BC Interior
Howdy Boys.

I have always used 3f powder in my ML guns with good results.
Have also used it in my large bore cartridge guns.

However, last nite I was reading Venturino and Garbe's book on cartridge reloading and they said that 2f or even 1f is the powder to use, but they don't say why.

Over the years of ML shooting I have also heard that 2f is the right stuff once one gets to .50 and above.

Anybody tell me why 3f is so wrong in these applications?
 
3f is used in smller cals and cartridges
2f is a common general purpose
1f is used when you want a bulky powder

really though it does not matter with real stuff
 
It is not wrong to use FFFg in M/L guns of 50 cal and up. I use it in my 45, 50 and 54 cal RB rifles because it seems to leave less residue. Also, I find I can use about 10% less FFFg than FFg to get the same velocity and accuracy. As for BPCR all I have tried is FFg in 45-70 and 45-90 but I also wondered why Venturino and Garbe mentioned that with no elaboration. Maybe consistency of ignition or more gradual pressure buildup to reduce bullet deformation as it accelerates down the barrel. Only way to find out is a couple of days at the range - not such a bad idea anyway... I use FFG only in my 62 cal trade gun and for 12 ga BP shotgun cartridges.
 
I think the reason for coarse powder in the larger cartridge rifles is to avoid over compression. If you load the shell with a drop tube and then compress the powder further, 3F can become like a briquet and in my experience overcompression lead to lower velocity. I am not saying you should not compress black powder only that too much compression will give you lower velocities and that the coarser the powder, the harder it becomes to overcompress.
I shoot 3F in most of my guns up to and including 60 cal/ 20 guage and 2F in 8 to 12 guage, and 1F in my 5 guage

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks a lot, Guys, good stuff to think about there. Seems I need to get hold of a chronograph and do some testing as well.

Kinda annoying when the "experts" make blanket statements in books and give no reasons. That'd get you a fail in a high school English paper.
 
I think the reason for coarse powder in the larger cartridge rifles is to avoid over compression. If you load the shell with a drop tube and then compress the powder further, 3F can become like a briquet and in my experience overcompression lead to lower velocity. I am not saying you should not compress black powder only that too much compression will give you lower velocities and that the coarser the powder, the harder it becomes to overcompress.
I shoot 3F in most of my guns up to and including 60 cal/ 20 guage and 2F in 8 to 12 guage, and 1F in my 5 guage




5 Gauge!!!:eek:! What on earth size of slug would that equate to? 12 Ga is like what .75? That would make a 5 gauge like a one and a half inch ball. More cannon than shotgun/Blunderbuss. What's the recoil like on that bad boy mooncoon!?
 
I think the reason for coarse powder in the larger cartridge rifles is to avoid over compression. If you load the shell with a drop tube and then compress the powder further, 3F can become like a briquet and in my experience overcompression lead to lower velocity. I am not saying you should not compress black powder only that too much compression will give you lower velocities and that the coarser the powder, the harder it becomes to overcompress.
I shoot 3F in most of my guns up to and including 60 cal/ 20 guage and 2F in 8 to 12 guage, and 1F in my 5 guage

5 Gauge!!!:eek:! What on earth size of slug would that equate to? 12 Ga is like what .75? That would make a 5 gauge like a one and a half inch ball. More cannon than shotgun/Blunderbuss. What's the recoil like on that bad boy mooncoon!?

no 12ga bore should be around .728" 5 "gauge" = .976" (bore should be used not gauge) but with any gun there is a given tolerance
 
Back
Top Bottom