question on Lead vs FMJ or TMJ

brandon6976

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
75   0   1
Location
Toronto area
Hey guys I did some searching and didn't find any threads specifically on the subject. I own a couple revolvers and a lever which are 357/38 and intend to get into cowboy shooting which I know uses lead.

The question I asked myself was should I be using jackets rounds for the most part as they would be "better" for the gun in terms of barrel life or any other reasons. When I started to search online to try and get to the bottom I didn't find any good reason that i really should be using jacketed bullets other than it won't leave as much junk in the barrel.

So I know some ranges want people to use jacketed and things like that but in terms of impact to the gun all I could conclude was that as long as I keep the gun clean to avoid leading there isn't any big reason to avoid lead.

I'm hoping I can get the opinions of those who've looked into it or shot both over some good periods of time
 
as far as I know, there is very little difference from a performance standpoint, and same goes for gun life. The biggest difference in my experience is cleaning. When I started reloading I used only lead because I was trying to do it as cheaply as possible so I could shoot more. I still only use lead in my CAS equipment, of course,and my 1911. I have found inexpensive jacketed ammo(canadian BDX) for use in my M&P9. It cleans alot nicer.
My.02
 
If your grandfather had a 22 rf and passed it down to your father and your father passed it down to you
What would the inside of the barrel look like ------> mint

lead does not wear out barrels

a correct fitting bullet with the correct lube will not lead the barrel
with other factors in the mix

Cowboy action loads should not lead the barrel and will take long time to wear it out
 
alright thanks guys, sounds like there is no reason I should avoid lead other than ensuring I keep the bore clean (which should be the same for FMJ).

I typically spray some S&W foaming lub which claims it cleans and penetrates copper and lead fouling. I let is sit for a min or so it can do it's thing then i'll run the bristle brush up and down a couple times and then i'll start putting cleaning patches with the cleaner on it through until they start coming out clean.
 
If you are intending to use very hot loads, then jacketed would be preferable due to less leading, ditto if you are planning to use it on deer, say. For the rest - cast is just fine.
 
lead boolits

I have handgun and rifles in .357 and .44mag. and use nothing but lead boolits from light plinking loads to max loads for hunting. A properly cast and lubricated bullet will leave very little fouling in the barrel. The lube used on cast boolits will coat inside of barrel and you should only clean every few hundred rounds. As stated by someone else lead is much softer than jacketed bullets so barrel should last longer
 
I too shoot a lot of lead in .357
in the revolver I get a bit of leading
in the lever, I get a shiny bore.

the bore finish looks the same in both pistol and rifle with the revolver being a bit larger
 
Back
Top Bottom