Question regarding storing and transporting black powder

FLYBYU44

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
190   0   0
This might come off as a little stupid, but I just got into black powder firearms and so I have some powder kicking around. Right now I am storing it in my heated shop (detached from house). What is the safest way to store and transport black powder in the car? I thought of the car thing while driving to the range, a small car accident could cause a big boom if it set the whole pound of the stuff off.
 
Black Powder is not nearly as dangerous as some would have you believe. It will not cause an explosion if you drop a bottle of it, or your car gets whacked in an accident etc. And the myths about guys setting it off by being a little too hard with the ramrod are just that - myth's.

I store my black powder with my smokeless powder in the house in a steel cabinet in it's original containers - no issue ever.

If I'm going out hunting I carry it in speed loaders (four or five charges). If I'm going to the range the can goes in my daypack with everything else I'm carrying.

Yes, treat it with respect, but don't be afraid of it - it just isn't "that explosive"...

PS - I assume you are asking about "real black" - if you are referring to the subs (777, Pyrodex et al), those are not even considered explosives and the care and handling is far less restricted - you can treat/store them like loaded shotgun shells/center fire rounds)
 
The safest way in the car would be: store the needed amount of grains per shot separate in capped vials and stick them in a MTM ammo box in appropriate size ( for my 1860 army for example, I fill 32grs into each vial and they fit into an MTM 100 rds 45 colt box.)

CG
 
The safest way in the car would be: store the needed amount of grains per shot separate in capped vials and stick them in a MTM ammo box in appropriate size ( for my 1860 army for example, I fill 32grs into each vial and they fit into an MTM 100 rds 45 colt box.)

CG

This suggestion has a lot of merit. I've been measuring each load by hand as required in a brass measure. This way would be quicker and safer and I can make a more accurate measure where it is warm, comfortable and the wind is not blowing.

A good idea, thank you.
 
This suggestion has a lot of merit. I've been measuring each load by hand as required in a brass measure. This way would be quicker and safer and I can make a more accurate measure where it is warm, comfortable and the wind is not blowing.

A good idea, thank you.

There are containers made specifically for black powder single charges online. I used to have 50 of them and carried them to the range in and MTM plastic case that had enough room for the containers in its cells. The one I used was built for 45-70 diameter bases.

When I hunted, I had a set of belt loops on my possibles bag that were just large and snug enough to hold six charged tubes. My possibles bag for hunting was small and just had a couple of belt loops on the back so I could carry it out front where it was easily reached. The bag contained a leather percussion cap holder that held the caps with tension and a 2 inch wide by 4 inch long board that held six patched balls that fit snugly into the six holes drilled and smoothed. The ram rod was used to push the balls down the bore already patched. This kit isn't useful on the range for most purposes but it was the handiest hunting rig I had for my Lyman 50 Plains rifle.

I had one board set up for balls and one set up for lubed maxis.
 
I store and transport using plastic ammo cans. Confirmed with the MNR that this is proper storage by law. When I hunt, I have my powder pre-measured in spent 30-06 brass with a lid made from spent .45 long colt brass. Holds 70 grains of 3F powder quite nicely, and fits on my hunting vest :)
 
Store and transport black powder in its original 1 pound can. Most of us make a pour spout with a .303 case soldered into a spare cap. bored out from the back, with a plastic cap slipped on the spout.
You can use a brass flask, but keep your bulk powder in a tightly sealed can to prevent moisture entering. Keep away from sources of ignition, and cap your canister, when not actually pouring a load into your measure.
Don`t spend too much time worrying.
 
Has anyone spent more than 10 seconds considering why BP is sold in metal containers? Why we use brass measuring tools? Plastic containers can produce static electricity. The metal container acts as a faraday cage and directs any electricity around the powder and not through it.

All powder containers are designed to rupture easily so that pressure cannot build up to produce a significant explosion.

The safest way to store and transport BP is in the original container. BP will not explode from normal impacts and 1 lb is too little to to produce a decent explosion.
 
Explosion from one pound of black powder and resulting shrapnel will ruin your day. Do not underestimate it.

Having said that, do not exaggerate the dangers either.
 
Has anyone spent more than 10 seconds considering why BP is sold in metal containers? Why we use brass measuring tools? Plastic containers can produce static electricity. The metal container acts as a faraday cage and directs any electricity around the powder and not through it.

All powder containers are designed to rupture easily so that pressure cannot build up to produce a significant explosion.

The safest way to store and transport BP is in the original container. BP will not explode from normal impacts and 1 lb is too little to to produce a decent explosion.


It runs in my mind that the BP that I bought last is in plastic containers. I think it may be a special plastic as it has a different feel than like plastic oil cans etc. Perhaps it is a conductive plastic. Does anyone know what it is? Whatever I would guess it is as safe as the metal they used to use.
 
Explosion from one pound of black powder and resulting shrapnel will ruin your day. Do not underestimate it.

Having said that, do not exaggerate the dangers either.

Not from an OEM container it wouldn't.

I have burnt pounds of smokeless in their OEM containers and only got flame. I understand that BP is a different animal but those OEM containers are still designed to be safe.
 
Back
Top Bottom