question

HUNTERROD

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Location
Cape Breton
Ever ship a Muzzloader after cleaning
Using wd40 to use as shipping oil in bore
I sent a gun to a gent
Hot water cleaned home and dried and oiled
Gun would have been in transit for 8-10 days
He gets the gun and tells me bore was filthy and kroil
Patches took rust out? And thaT some pitting was evident
Anybody else have this prob?
Maybe pkg sat in damp location or???
 
WD 40 doesn't protect from rust at all, It is good for drying ignition wires though. I can't see pits starting during shipping, just not long enough for that , but surface rusting certainly could start.
 
Yes Pete
When I got the gun from the owner prior
He did say " bore was gd and rifling was great"
The outside of gun was wiped down with it
It was fine, I'm sending the gun he traded me back
But now makes me wonder what happened
The gun shot just fine honest 2.5-3" at 50-75 yards
He used kroil to clean it
Patches did come out dirty
But black more than anything g for 1 or 2
Then patches seemed dark like the kroil color
I cleaNed with windex between rounds at range
Then hot water and soap home
Then wd40 and put away
Idone it with all my Guns
Never seen that
 
The guy sent me pics to show
And I don't say it's not true
As he's a gd guy
Just for life of me can't figure how it rusted up like that
I don't have a bore light here and maybe I should
But the gent I got the gun from had a perfect trader rating and most his
Feedback was he was honest
Tells me gun shot great and bore was gd
Provided me with photos of targets shot
So if by chance there may of been pitting
Which I didn't see or know of because it never
Showed on my range trips as rust or cleaning
It's a first to me for sure . I'm not one to not disclose
Cond of guns for certain
But guess I'll get her back end enjoy printing small groups
And for a 58 cal gun from the 60's 2.5-3" is better than some rifles
Made now lol
Funny how the patching wasn't torn up after firing either
As I always look for patches burning through
Patches always looked normal
I have had poor bored antiques tear patches up from rough bores
 
Well I won't use it anymore
Was using 3 in 1 oil and just found
It dried up sticky
Because it's thick
Gonna buy some rem oil or was told rust check was gd
For long storage
 
Well I won't use it anymore
Was using 3 in 1 oil and just found
It dried up sticky
Because it's thick
Gonna buy some rem oil or was told rust check was gd
For long storage

I have used Fluid Film for the past 15 years or more and never had a problem with it. It is a spray on light grease and does not seem to migrate down the bore on a gun stored vertically. Also does not dry out

cheers mooncoon
 
I got rust after cleaning with hot water (no soap) and oiling with Hoppe's gun oil after the gun sits in the safe for a while.

Now I use STP oil treatment down the bore (It seems to stop rust even on guns that previously rusted) and Minwax finishing wax on all exterior metal & wood (prevents gun finishes like tru oil from wearing off)

Too much STP can get into the breechplug over time & cause missfires. Best would be to wipe with a dry patch immediately after applying the STP if your planning to shoot again in the near future

Or for long term storage (in the case of a muzzleloader) maybe the barrel or gun could be stored upside down

I just dry patch next time I take out the gun
 
I'm guessing that you didn't get all the water out of that gun before the WD-40 was applied. There are much better products to protect against rust, but in that short time frame you should have got away with it.
I have used WD-40 after scrubbing a barrel to displace the water, which it is designed to do, and works just fine for that purpose, but then wipe it down with oil after, inside and out. Never a problem that way.
 
When I first started shooting BP I tried hot water and soap, from the backyard to the locker in the house it flash rusted, and took hours to get rid of all of it. No more water for this guy, I use solvents and never had an issue with rust since. I store all my rifles that are wood stocked muzzle down, because I use solvents and oils, I don't want oil soaked furniture.
 
All.water came out
I dry patched then applied another bunch of wd40
Then pkg it to send out
Guy is sending it back anyways
The gun shoots fine,
3" at 75 yards with a big 58 is pretty darn gd
 
After a cleaning with water then a couple patches to dry the barrel I give it a good spray with WD40 to remove remaining moisture but I learned a long time ago that WD40 will not protect against rust so a light oiled patch through the barrel completes my cleaning process now.
 
Back
Top Bottom