Questions about enfield rifled musket

smokindonuts

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Location
Napanee, Ontario
OK, so I have a chance to purchase an original enfield percussion musket. It's marked Tower 1862. Fair bore. It is complete with ramrod and all parts. The metal has a brown patina with a little pitting here and there. The stock is in pretty good shape. My issue is with the stock, it fits well however the front band is only an inch or so from the brass cap and there is no side bayo lug. The front sight however is intact and looks original. The barrel is 30-32 inches, I forgot my tape. Is this the real deal or has the stock perhaps been cut and fitted from a three band? I just don't want to spend on a rifle thats not as it seems.
 
Where is the rear sight mounted? The rear sight on short rifles is mounted close to the rear band, and is marked to 1100 yards. Is it three or five groove rifled? Also, the short rifle lower band is farther up the fore stock than a musket. The furniture on short rifles is iron, too, buttplate, nosecap, and triggerguard. The fact that it has a brass nosecap makes me suspicious.
 
The rear sight is half way from the hammer to the rear band. I am sure the barrel, and lock are genuine, but I have my suspicions about the stock. It is fitted with brass furniture as a 3 bander is. I'm starting to believe that the stock is a cut down 3 band, fitted to replace a damaged original 2 band rifle.
 
It may have been done over 100 years ago, who knows? You may be able to use this knowledge to get the price down a bit, and still have a good shooter. I once saw a Snider that had been modified, it had three bands but was two band length. The barrel had been shortened, and all bands set back. Very odd.
 
pattern 1853 Enfield

Good day. I'm just rejoining this site after time away and hope this post is not contravening any etiquitte/policy. I am a long time American Civil War collector in the process of downsizing some of my collection. Rather than go through the hassles and expense of shipping back to the US I'm hoping this site might be a forum to sell some CW weapons. I'm just on line now reading some posts and going through the site. One of the items I would want to move is a complete pattern 1853 Enfield with bayonet. Likely Confederate used. If you are interested I'll post as soon as I can identify the processes.
 
Back
Top Bottom