Questions for CVA Wolf owners.

zebra26

Regular
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
Quebec
I took the plunge last night. Given the price I guess it was a plunge in the shallow end. $290(tax free sale at SAIL in Laval, QC) Wolf black stock, blue steel, a tasco scope with a Flambeau plastic case. Not the official CVA Wolf kit but the same idea.

I must say the gun looks pretty good and sturdy for the price. I've been considering ML for some time now and was more considering traditional style guns but selection round here is lacking so I took this route as a first step and a season extender. Since I now hunt in parts of Ontario in which rifle is not permitted I guess this makes it a season maker.

Salesman told me this gun was NOT suitable for magnum load that is 150 grain of powder or 3 White Hots. Frankly I 've found nothing to support that conclusion in any online resources including the CVA site. I guess he is blowing smoke?

I understand it takes a special screw in breech to use power and since I don't have one I will start out with WHite Hots since they seem to cause the least amount of fowling.

ANy suggestions on bullet weight and brand/ type with a 2 pill WHiteHots load?

I don't want to use anything with a plastic sabot.

I figure the shots will be 100 yds or less.

Also what is the sight in distance for the load.

I guess that is about it for now. Thanks in advance for your input.

PS. Piss me off to no end that I had to go through the whole RCMP registration crap and into an SQ ledger.
 
Not sure about max load in that gun. I have a CVA acurra V2. Love it. Mine takes max load.
I would recommend using Blackhorn powder if all possible. I have the Blackhorn breach plug, and use it, but I never had any problems with the old one! You should give it a try.
Why no plastic sabot?? Don't want 1" groups at 100??
 
I understand the plastic sabot requires more (difficult) cleaning and that cleaning is required after each shot.
That said, what make and weight of sabot are you using with a standard load?

About the breech plug, I just going with what CVA has to say ( or sell).

I've heard good things about Blackhorn but I have not had time to track some down. What weight of 209 are you using with you selected bullet?
 
I have almost the same set up. I found Whit Hots did not work all that well. 2 Tripple 7 is what my rifle likes. I like the hornady FPB 350 (no SABOT) not the most economical but shoot amazingly well. I also like the fact you don't need to clean between shots I can get 5 rounds then clean it, you just have to make sure you push through the carbon ring. I tried 3 777 once... the Wolf took it...I saw no real gain so I suck with 2.
 
I have almost the same set up. I found Whit Hots did not work all that well. 2 Tripple 7 is what my rifle likes. I like the hornady FPB 350 (no SABOT) not the most economical but shoot amazingly well. I also like the fact you don't need to clean between shots I can get 5 rounds then clean it, you just have to make sure you push through the carbon ring. I tried 3 777 once... the Wolf took it...I saw no real gain so I suck with 2.

Sounds good. Did you try the lighter FPB 300 grain?
I am not sure what you mean by the "carbon ring"?
What is your zero point with this load?
Lastly, what cleaning stuff are you using?
Lots of questions I know but its getting cool (not like Alberta and Sask cool, I really, really feel your pain with what they have been getting) and I am chomping at the bit.
 
I did not try the 300s if I remember correctly they only had the 350 so I bought a few packs.
The carbon ring, when you shoot a round it makes a distinctive carbon ring down near where the powder is, when you go to clean between shots you will feel it with the patch, with a sabot the carbon ring will stop the sabot, with the fpb push through the carbon ring and you will feel/hear a crunch sound as the bullet goes through the carbon. I clean between each shot at the range but wanted to try to see about follow up shots I can get 5 rounds before the carbon ring gets hard to push through.
I clean up with water. I lube everything well with Wonderlube 1000 plus, including the breach plug.
 
I zeroed for 100 why? because every thing I have is sighted for 100.

Right, good to know. I'll see what they have in stock.

I was looking at a power built ballistic chart and they ware using a 150 yd zero point, 28" barrel, 100 grain charge. Just sayin.

My hunting rifles, for conversation sake, are set to shoot 1" high at 100yds or zero at 200 yds. It gives me a much longer sight picture while maintaining the round in the kill zone. (270, 308, 3006) (Why those calibers? Over the years stuff builds up and I can't get myself to sell any of them)(Before C-68, I had a lot more but with that collector status bull#### I downsized. Fool me once shame on them, fool me twice shame on me.
 
I'd do my load trials at 100 y max. Set the POI an inch or two high if you like. Since the MV is a lot lower (1800fps), you wont get the same "drop zone" as your centre fire rifles.
You can also consider the Powerbelts - same concept as the Hornady FPB, only the expanding skirt is plastic. I've tries both sabotted and non sabotted bullets with good results. Using the 777 pellets (2), I find I'm able to reload several sabots without cleaning, so I tend to use the sabots as they are slightly more accurate, and have a better ballistic coefficient ( long 40 cal bullet vs short 50 cal bullet.)
 
I'd do my load trials at 100 y max. Set the POI an inch or two high if you like. Since the MV is a lot lower (1800fps), you wont get the same "drop zone" as your centre fire rifles.
You can also consider the Powerbelts - same concept as the Hornady FPB, only the expanding skirt is plastic. I've tries both sabotted and non sabotted bullets with good results. Using the 777 pellets (2), I find I'm able to reload several sabots without cleaning, so I tend to use the sabots as they are slightly more accurate, and have a better ballistic coefficient ( long 40 cal bullet vs short 50 cal bullet.)

Yours is the second vote for sabot loads. What sabot bullets are you using?
 
I understand the plastic sabot requires more (difficult) cleaning and that cleaning is required after each shot.

I can shoot 6 without cleaning at all or more. I usually run a brush between shots at the bench just cause.

That said, what make and weight of sabot are you using with a standard load?

Hornady 250SST or Barnes 250,(blue sabot) they hit the same spot at 100.

About the breech plug, I just going with what CVA has to say ( or sell).

I've heard good things about Blackhorn but I have not had time to track some down. What weight of 209 are you using with you selected bullet?

I use 110 gr by volume, or 77gr by weight. Please look on Blackhorns web for confirmation as I am not at my loading bench to confirm.
 
Back
Top Bottom