questions on 58 cal antonio zoli

rembolt

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
40   0   1
Location
Nova Scotia
A friend just got this as a gift and needs info .would this be best suited for patch and ball or minnies.ffg or fffg and how big a charge.it has 3 folding rear sights what would the yardage ranges be.hopeing someone can help thanks.
 
antonio zoli??....58 cal should be useing FFg in it how many groves for rifleing is in it? and whats it a replica of?
 
thanks Tula I haven't seen the gun .its never been fire it was a wall hanger for the previous owner.I am thinking my self its probley a slow twist ball shooter with a 500 grain projectile .any ideas on a what to use for a charge of ffg.
 
Those are quality built rifles, good fit and finish, could be a Zouave that you have. I would start with 90 grns of FFg and go up in 10 grn increments. See what load gives you the best group.

Cheers nessy.
 
If I can just give my two cents worth.....I would start with Fg or FFG and a charge of sixty grains under a patched round ball. As Nessy says you can then go up in increments of 10 grains. I find that 60 grns. is great for target work and to get to know your rifle. I would go up to a higher charge if going to hunt with it. Good luck, Dave
 
Zoli 58 cals will shoot round ball very accurately as well as Minie bullets.
The only way you will find out is to have fun shooting it.
Just remember to use pure lead.
With round ball start with forty grains of FFg
With the minie start with fifty grains of FFg.
This should have a musket cap nipple - very reliable
you can replace that with a No 11 nipple as well (available from Dixie gun works)
If you use the minie for hunting work up a load. There will be a point where accuracy falls off due to the skirt of the bullet blowing out because of excess pressure. That point depends on your bullet, lead alloy, powder charge, and gun.

You can use pyrodex but make sure you clean it immediately. Pyrodex has a potasium clorate base and is MORE hygroscopic and corrosive than black powder.
I do not use pyrodex in any black powder firearms any more.
 
Back
Top Bottom