Quick question about unloading a BP

kwmack

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Location
Eastern Ontario
I'm still relatively new to BP. Shot a spring black bear last season with my inline and loving it! Just wondering if anyone has any tricks about unloading loose powder without firing the round. I've been using IMR White Hot pellets, but would really like to use loose powder. The problem I've had with loose powder however is my CVA Wolf with the quick release breech plug. When I empty the powder by taking out the breech plug, the powder gets through the threads and bungs them up, making it hard to replace the plug. Any tricks to defeat this? Thanks!
 
Congrats on the bear, I shoot flintlocks, both 2f and 3f powder and sometimes 4f powder for the pan. I am sure lots clean their barrels this way.
1. take barrel off gun
2.fill a pail with hot soapy water
3.place barrel in pail,with cleaning rod and wrapped bore brush and clean cloth stroke up and down, you will suck water from bottom of barrel and pump it out the top.
4. hot water breaks down the powder and any caked stuff when you get jet black pail water change it and do it again, and again and again till it looks clean.
5. final rinse should be hot water and let it air dry (dries kind of quick barrel being hot)
6. use a light coat of oil on all parts after
My suggestion for the threads if this doesn't clean them is to try a soft brass brush ( crappy tire sells some) might be strong enough after the hot water softens the black powder..Happy shooting
 
I'm still relatively new to BP. Shot a spring black bear last season with my inline and loving it! Just wondering if anyone has any tricks about unloading loose powder without firing the round. I've been using IMR White Hot pellets, but would really like to use loose powder. The problem I've had with loose powder however is my CVA Wolf with the quick release breech plug. When I empty the powder by taking out the breech plug, the powder gets through the threads and bungs them up, making it hard to replace the plug. Any tricks to defeat this? Thanks!

Just shoot it until it's really dirty and then clean.

Or...

I suppose you could undo the breech plug with the muzzle down, give it a blast with an air compressor (showering bits of powder everywhere), and then pound the bullet out?
 
I asked about this when I was getting back into it. They still make the CO2 discharger that blows the powder and projectile out with out firing. It comes out with some force so care needs to be taken.
 
Some guys are using a tube that is threaded to match your breech plug, it extends out the rear of the rifle. This helps to keep the loose powder out of the threads, once the powder is out simply push the bullet/sabot out of the barrel.
 
i don't use loose powder [i know that BLACKHORN 209 ] is the best powder very clean and easy to load for a second or third load without cleaning . i don't want anything too complicated so i use TRIPLE SEVEN [T7] i remove the breech plug and the pellets fall into my hand .
 
Thanks for all the great replies! I guess I just hate having to waste a load of powder every time I go hunting and don't fire. I'm used to being able to keep every load I don't fire with pellets.
 
A pound of powder goes a lot further than pellets, and I know T7 pellets don't keep from year to year. I simply remove the plug and push the powder and bullet out. I have trimmed down a tooth brush to fit into the breech area and a couple turns it is clean. works on both my Encore and Knight
 
A pound of powder goes a lot further than pellets, and I know T7 pellets don't keep from year to year. I simply remove the plug and push the powder and bullet out. I have trimmed down a tooth brush to fit into the breech area and a couple turns it is clean. works on both my Encore and Knight

I may have to give the tooth brush idea a try!
 
Back
Top Bottom