R92 and +P+ heavy ammo

Hungsolo

Regular
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Location
Victoria
Hello. I recently came into posession of some ammo, and I was looking through it, and there is a box of Buffalo Bore heavy 340 grain +P+ 44 mag ammo in there. I have a rossi r92 from 2011 or 2012. I looked on buffalo bore websight and they listed some specific rifles and falling block as safe. Nothing about 1892. Has anyone tried shooting these with an 1892? Or would you avoid shooting these all together?
 
>This new load is designed ONLY for certain firearms. They are as follows; Ruger Red Hawk, Ruger Super Red Hawk (the Ruger Alaskan is a short barrel Super Redhawk), Ruger Super Blackhawk or Vaquero, Freedom Arms Model 83, Taurus Raging Bull All Steel Versions (no lightweight alloys), Colt Anaconda, Magnum Research BFR and Dan Wesson Revolvers. Suitable rifles include T/C Encore, CVA Hunter, Handi Rifle and any rifle with a falling block action. Please note that this website list of approved firearms is more up to date than some of the lists found on our boxes of ammo.


The answer is no.
 
I seriously doubt the Buffalo Bore +P .44mag load is more pressure then SAAMI max .454 Casull and the Rossi 92 action is also available chambered in .454Casull.

Contact Buffalo Bore, but while I'm surprised it's not on their list given how common of a rifle it is... the list above says "suitable rifles include" not only the following rifles or something to that extent. Seems like an incomplete list.

Part of the issue might be that Rossi has made lot's of 1892's and it's possible the older ones pre roll out of the .454 Casull models had different metallurgy and BB is not willing to list Rossi 1892's in case someone has an older one that's potentially got weaker steel?

The .454 models came out in the mid to late 90's according to LLM's and they were produced since the 60's before that in Brazil.... so if you find an old 60's,70's,80's early 90's Rossi pre .454 Casull release I would imagine there could well be a difference in strength!

Might be best ( maybe not for your wrist) to find someone with a Ruger approved handgun to detonate those rounds in..... :)
 
Last edited:
>This new load is designed ONLY for certain firearms. They are as follows; Ruger Red Hawk, Ruger Super Red Hawk (the Ruger Alaskan is a short barrel Super Redhawk), Ruger Super Blackhawk or Vaquero, Freedom Arms Model 83, Taurus Raging Bull All Steel Versions (no lightweight alloys), Colt Anaconda, Magnum Research BFR and Dan Wesson Revolvers. Suitable rifles include T/C Encore, CVA Hunter, Handi Rifle and any rifle with a falling block action. Please note that this website list of approved firearms is more up to date than some of the lists found on our boxes of ammo.


The answer is no.
This is where I am leaning as well. Not worth the risk.
 
Dont think they will feed well threw that action, unless you single feed that big lead bullet..
My R92 cassull would need work to feed those big lead bullet. 300gr xtp is good enough.
I have 2 rossi 454.
1 for plinking light loads , and another for magnum loads that purchased used from a gunnie . He ran that poor gun hard.. a true bush and qaud gun
She is still fairly tight , considering the amount of hot ammo i feed here.
I little loser of an action compared to the plinking rifle.. but still locks up tight.

plus P ammo in a stronger action like a falling block or heavy frame revolver wouldnt shake apart over time, like a lever gun would.
 
I have a R92 in 45 colt. I load to +p pressures. I agree with the above comment as it’s the same action for the 454 Casull. I have owned a Casull in the past but my 45 colt does everything I need it to.

There is a lot of information out there on the strength of these actions.
Here be proper info on Rossi 92's with load data. My R92 is 45 Colt and I've had the 454 Casull one along with 44 mag & 357 mag units.
They be good & strong enough for most applications.
https://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/45coltlevergun.htm
 
I think you may find that those rounds will not function properly in your rifle. The overall length might be too long and will not feed from the magazine. My experience has been that the 1894 rifles chamber longer rounds than 1892. I’ve seen this with both the BB and HSM bear load ammunition.
 
Back
Top Bottom