Not perfectly new to muzzleloaders, but not an old dog either. Took a range day to try to work up a lower recoil practice load with the wifes traditions pursuit 50. Purpose of this was to get moderate to excellent accuracy. She plans to hunt deer this year with me, and needs more muzzle time to perfect loading, troubleshooting and general practice.
I shot a 1" group at 100yds with 100gr pyro rs with a hornady xtp sabot combo (the 25 pack combos), sight in with her shooting and the hunting load is taken care of.
now the light load, requirements are some recoil so she gets used to it and is not scared with the hunting loads, cast bullets only, cast in sabot is ok.
Could not get 490rb to shoot, no suprise due to twist, did get a 230gr swc to get two into 1" at 50yds, with a 3" high flyer using 80gr pyrodex.
Managed a 1.5" group with a lee modern minie using 80gr pyrodex.
In both cases raising or lowering the charge resulted in shotgun type groups.
Anyone have a light load that is accurate enough to tell how well a person is doing with a simular combo? The two reduced I describe still have enough recoil to bug her after a few shots. I am willing to buy a mold to match a known good recipie.
Next question, how do your inlines react to primer changes, I am using rio 209 at the moment, anyone point me in a proper direction from there, or does it really matter?
Have other questions regarding my sidelock 50, but need to swear a while longer at it before asking here.
She thanks you in advance, I would just shoot the modern minies if it were my shoulder.
I shot a 1" group at 100yds with 100gr pyro rs with a hornady xtp sabot combo (the 25 pack combos), sight in with her shooting and the hunting load is taken care of.
now the light load, requirements are some recoil so she gets used to it and is not scared with the hunting loads, cast bullets only, cast in sabot is ok.
Could not get 490rb to shoot, no suprise due to twist, did get a 230gr swc to get two into 1" at 50yds, with a 3" high flyer using 80gr pyrodex.
Managed a 1.5" group with a lee modern minie using 80gr pyrodex.
In both cases raising or lowering the charge resulted in shotgun type groups.
Anyone have a light load that is accurate enough to tell how well a person is doing with a simular combo? The two reduced I describe still have enough recoil to bug her after a few shots. I am willing to buy a mold to match a known good recipie.
Next question, how do your inlines react to primer changes, I am using rio 209 at the moment, anyone point me in a proper direction from there, or does it really matter?
Have other questions regarding my sidelock 50, but need to swear a while longer at it before asking here.
She thanks you in advance, I would just shoot the modern minies if it were my shoulder.


















































