I've been casting 210 grain round nose bullets for my 300 win mag. They're a damned long bullet for a 308 caliber gun, but hey...whatever.
I was seating them so that I got the same OAL as factory ammo over 16 grains of Unique powder. This has the base of the bullet more than just a little past the neck. Anyway, those cut cloverleafs all day long at 50m. Sorry, that's the longest shot I have available right now.
Just for ease of crimping, I seated them out about another 0.080" so that the tip of the neck would be even with one of the lube grooves, and hey, the bullet would be closer to the rifling.........might tighten up the groups a little more, right ?? WRONG. That put my groups out to 2" at 50 meters !!!!
Just thought I'd share the experience. I'll be back to factory length on the next batch.
I was seating them so that I got the same OAL as factory ammo over 16 grains of Unique powder. This has the base of the bullet more than just a little past the neck. Anyway, those cut cloverleafs all day long at 50m. Sorry, that's the longest shot I have available right now.
Just for ease of crimping, I seated them out about another 0.080" so that the tip of the neck would be even with one of the lube grooves, and hey, the bullet would be closer to the rifling.........might tighten up the groups a little more, right ?? WRONG. That put my groups out to 2" at 50 meters !!!!
Just thought I'd share the experience. I'll be back to factory length on the next batch.


















































