range time 36cal 1858 rem

lone ranger

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
220   0   1
Location
sask
I have a Uberti 1858 36cal revolver I bought off CGN

I'm not new to cap n ball, I started about 20 years ago. It was time to go back.
I forgot how relaxing it was.

My 1st attempt last week was dismal. I set my target out at 25 yards. didnt hit anything..
I set the target at 20 feet away......I was 12 inches High with a 6 oclock hold,... not good. It also shot to the right.
Took it home and made the front sight 80 thousands higher.

Took it back to the range a while later, and much better results. It shot 4 inches Low. So I got out my file and went to work. I took about 20 thou off to hit center at 25 yards.

It was still hitting right,...so I hit the right side face of the crown with a punch " gently" and it Worked. It moved the ball left. Now I was dead On. This technique was used back in the day to sight in black powder guns with little or no real sights.
My metal targets are 8x8 and hitting them at 25 yards was fun and easy.

I moved the targets out to 35 yards and found it was just as doable. I'm going to try a little fine tuning and see If I can do 40 yards on the 8x8 plates next time. Mabey pic up a Torso target and try it at 50yards as well. BUT, 1st I'm going to have to do something about this LONG Hard Trigger Pull.

I found the perfect load for accuracy is 24g of goex using Hornady 375 ball


the 36 cal 1858
100-6979.jpg





Used silver solder to make the sight taller
100-6971.jpg



you know whats really sad.......this cap N ball has better accuracy than my Norinco 1911 45 LOL
 
Last edited:
This era of pistol always shot high, it's how they were designed. I have an old 58 in 44. It's stronger than a Colt, easier to work on...but I find the smaller cylinder pin will foul and drag more than a Colt.
Colts gave a little better natural pointablility for snap shooting...but Remmy's give up nothing in aimed fire.
It's nice to have the top strap and the ability to pop out the cylinder without dismantling the gun. This is more important on original piece's...you can charge the cylinder on a stand ( safer too)
24 grains of Goex, must have decent snap.
Nice pistol friend. Enjoy safely.
If you get a chance, read the chapter in Keith's 'Sixguns' on cap and ball. He brings up some valid quirks and safety points of them. I have been shooting one for an easy 10 years and I still learned something from it.
 
Thanks tokguy.
for some reason it likes 24g. I havent got the same accuracy any lower.
And your right about the center pin getting fouled. What worked best for you ?? I tried a pinch of regular grease, didnt work. Maybe synthetic ?


I stretched and wore this old buffalo right out. To hot of a load & to many balls. used it for 8 years. It wasnt that accurate
44buffalo113.jpg



This one was very accurate, way more than the Gun below it, LOL should have kept it.
p-38-004.jpg




This little brass 36 cal was useless and Not accurate
hand-guns-feb2017-002.jpg
 
As far as keeping it shooting without the centre pin fouling...the old natural grease ( lanolin and beeswax) in the mouth's of the cylinder chambers trick is about all I can suggest.
Mine was original til they swapped on a new bbl and cylinder. Sadly the threads were just a little dissimilar. Worked marvelously with BP. Ran a load of triple 7 through it and the bbl jumped forward a thread.
That bit of 'wisdom' was expensive.
Don't do that.
 
Back
Top Bottom