Re listing on the EE

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of weeks ago a fellow had a vintage Cooey rifle for sale on the EE. His listing stated that he didn't know the model. It also said SPF. I contacted him and asked if he had any pics I could see. I explained that I have a fair number of Cooeys and that maybe I could give him some info on it. Despite already being sold, he was more than glad to send me a few pics as he said even his gunsmith didn't know anything about it. I gave him some info. He was happy and likely he passed the info on to the new owner. Just a difference in individuals taking the time and courtesy to respond.


if that was the $75 unknown model .22 that was listed in the middle of the night, I PM'd him minutes after he posted with an "I'll take it" with 0 views of the thread. 10 minutes later there was 1 view, still no reply though he was still active on the sight. There were 171 views when he PM'd the next day with "it's sold"

I'm getting used to this kind of nonsense, but really miss the days when I first joined and the majority of folks knew how to do business.
 
I love the guys that say OBO you give them an offer 2 secs later there rude as fxxk and say no 2 weeks later its still up so you offer a higher bid then they say ive been offered more than that and still didnt take it. Lol does OBO still mean OR BEST OFFER!! Thats my rant thanks.
 
I've tried to be courteous and give first replies first chance after I send pics, if I don't have them up at first.

If I have someone talking deal in the meantime, and the other parties have been active since... Well, I suppose the first guy to make an acceptable offer gets it. That seems fairest.

You get tire kickers just like at a gun show. I've kicked a few tires myself as I wrestle with the internal want vs need debate.

Playing one guy against another is dirty, though. You take an offer and follow through with it. A few $ here and there is not as important as being a gentleman.
 
I love the guys that say OBO you give them an offer 2 secs later there rude as fxxk and say no 2 weeks later its still up so you offer a higher bid then they say ive been offered more than that and still didnt take it. Lol does OBO still mean OR BEST OFFER!! Thats my rant thanks.


I seriously misread a lowball offer to an OBO ad I had, and politely blew off the chap. He was a serious buyer, though, and we came to a mutually satisfactory deal. Lesson learned on my part.
 
Admin chime in here. Can an admin view private messages in other inboxes? Some may be totally against it, or even the thought of it. But if something were to seem fishy cound an admin brows through their Pm's to make sure everything is on the up and up? I understand there is privacy issues with this but it's in the best interest if the group. Not sure if we signed anything when we signed up. And I am not referring to this particular case, just in general.

Private messages are just that, private.
If a PM is problematic, use the post report button.
 
I love the guys that say OBO you give them an offer 2 secs later there rude as fxxk and say no 2 weeks later its still up so you offer a higher bid then they say ive been offered more than that and still didnt take it. Lol does OBO still mean OR BEST OFFER!! Thats my rant thanks.

I did that last week for a piddly item. The add said "offers" so I offered $2 less. He replied that his prices were firm... f:P:
I advised that he should likely remove the "offers" from his add if he wasn't actually entertaining any...

I'm fairly active on the EE so I have seen it deteriorate over the last few years. Folks just don't know how a deal is to be conducted it seems.

I should say it's not "everyone"
I was trying to buy an item last week. The seller told me where I was in line and kept me updated throughout. Even though I didn't get to buy the item, it was a positive exchange. There are still some folks that deal honorably.
Thank you Anthony, you are a first class gentleman.
 
Last edited:
This site has grown dramatically.
By the same token, of the many transactions I have conducted, the overwhelming majority have been entirely satisfactory.
 
Iv'e only had one experiance where I was being played for "have a higher offer" Wasn't worth that to me let it go.. I have made offers to what I thought was a fair price.. Always tried to leave on good terms.. A lot of good folks on cgn
 
I would suggest not to expect first class service from amateurs. Chances are many do not even realize their conduct is improper.
 
all i want is people to learn how to change their post title to: sold please delete

i've even offered to become a moderator so i can go through the EE and delete post with sold items in them but no joy
 
Maybe ,but if so I could not have been far off from being first. Either way would you not respond? And the listing still isn't changed to SPF or sold so he must be getting more messages. You think he would change it to stop the unnecessary messages, especially since he was on the forum yesterday.
I just sent him another message so I'll see if I even get a response to it.
A poor way to handle a transaction no matter how you look at it.

Sorry for the rant. I just hope someone doesn't get burned.

you are not alone , I hit a one the other day that had only 1 view and directly agreed to take it ....and I know my pm was read..
Nada , nothing.
Still for sale..oh well , his loss not mine
 
I don't know if this thread belongs here ,and I apologize if it doesn't, but I was just wondering if anyone else has tried contacting the fellow trying to sell a Pedersoli Cabelas muzzleloader on the EE. If so, has anyone gotten any responses? The guy lives in the same city as me and I contacted him right after he listed the gun which was 3 days ago. 2 more messages later and still no response. Makes me wonder why someone would list a gun then ignore an 'I'll take it" right after it was listed. Especially since no shipping would be involved. Kind of a poor way to get a trader rating. But the other thing I'm wondering is that maybe it's a scam and he doesn't even live in my city. Hence why I'm wondering if anyone has gotten a response from him.

On a relate note regarding buyers, I am selling an ATV for parts. The buyer was in constant contact to the point of arranging a mutually agreeable time to complete the transaction. Time went by, no show. I texted and emailed the next day asking if they were still interested. Still no answer after two weeks... All they would have to say is they aren't interested. No offence on my part. At least if I know for sure, if I had a second buyer lined up, I could get rid of the ATV. I really hope they come back to me after I have sold it. Too bad, you didn't communicate to make arrangements,so you lose...
 
I have not participated in the EE section on this site, but I have used kijiji quite a bit lately. In the ATV sale I mentioned earlier, I always deal with the first potential buyer first and and work through the email as they come. I also stated OBO in my ad, and had one guy email me a few days ago with a "bring it down to (500km from home) and I'll give you a snowblower for it". Rather insulting offer, but it sent a message back stating "that I was looking for cash to buy accessories for my new ATV. Besides, I already have a snowblower and a plow for my ATV."

I always message back for every offer and/or enquiry. Just part of the transaction in my mind. Not applicable to others, it seems.
 
I was first to place a all take it on a pair of 22 cal rifles last week and never heard a word back from sell ,next thing I see is spf .nice Dutch
 
I wouldn't rely heavily on the post view counter in believing you are first to see an ad, as I've noticed there seems to be a lag between actually viewing and the number going up. Even if you hit refresh on a fresh ad you just viewed (Should be a +1) the counter will not update immediately.
 
It's funny, I was just complaining about a similar incident. A fellow responded to my WTB ad for a NWMP revolver, interested in a trade. He emailed me pictures of his gun, I emailed back pictures of mine. Then no response. No "no thank you", no counter offer, no communication. I thought maybe my emails hit his spam box, so I sent a PM here. No response after 3 days, and he's been online. The lack of courtesy pisses me off, but it's a good indication of a bad choice for a business relationship. Consider it a blessing in disguise.
 
I wouldn't rely heavily on the post view counter in believing you are first to see an ad, as I've noticed there seems to be a lag between actually viewing and the number going up. Even if you hit refresh on a fresh ad you just viewed (Should be a +1) the counter will not update immediately.

I have to agree. I feel the post counter can be as much as 15 minutes behind. There is no smoke and mirrors, or BS going on when you see a zero count ad and it says SPF. You are just ten minutes late and now mad at the computer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom