Re-lubing conicals?

Fox

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Location
Kemptville
I was given a bunch of old conicals, Buffalo bullets and TC conicals. The lube is really dry on the Buffalo bullets, almost powder and the TC conicals stink really bad and 1 box is almost as dry as the buffalo bullets.

My thought was to rinse them in really hot water to melt off the lube then re-lube. Would it be best to use bore butter or would pan lubing with 50/50 beeswax and crisco work?
 
I pan lubed T/C Maxi-Balls with 1/3 bore butter, 2/3 bees wax. Seems to work pretty good. You might get away with substituting Vaseline for bore butter?

M
 
I thought petroleum products were a no no for black powder stuff?

As in the Vaseline? I've never heard that one before. Vaseline is common in smokeless lube formulas. I was just surmising as Vaseline is about the same consistency as bore butter.

M
 
As in the Vaseline? I've never heard that one before. Vaseline is common in smokeless lube formulas. I was just surmising as Vaseline is about the same consistency as bore butter.

M

That's what they say, not to use petroleum type products in muzzle loaders. It apparently gums up the works. Maybe more so grease, but I'd sure have a google before I tried it. Adding canola oil to lard will get whatever consistency you're looking for (for) cap n ball, I know that much.
 
That's what they say, not to use petroleum type products in muzzle loaders. It apparently gums up the works. Maybe more so grease, but I'd sure have a google before I tried it. Adding canola oil to lard will get whatever consistency you're looking for (for) cap n ball, I know that much.

I'll take your word for it then. Bore Butter does claim to be an all natural lube.

M
 
Back
Top Bottom