Re registering as antique?

chris wilson

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,I noticed tradeex has a number of rolling blocks for sale. I am looking for something I can re barrel to 45-70. he has a couple that are chambered to shotgun calibers for a lot less than the "antiques".I e-mailed him about this and he said everything he has is as is.If the shotgun chambered barrel was removed is the gun an antique again or does it have to be re registered? Meaning can I have one sent to a smith,have him take the barrel off then send it to me as a antique?
 
As fiscus said, have the rifle re-barrelled first. There's no way CFC will de-register it in its present configuration. Mooncoon is right.
 
I suspect that the CFC will refuse to deregister the gun until it is rebarreled. I have a Zulu registered as a frame only and once it becomes a rifle, it can be deregistered but not before according to the CFC woman that I spoke to. Keep in mind that the Zulu was made from a bored out french military rifle called a tabatierre so that the frame was originally a rifle frame.

cheers mooncoon
 
Be careful which shotgun you buy if rebarrelling is your plan. One I bought from Tradex would be a good candidate and the dual extractors a bonus but its too much fun as it is.

Another cheaper one in 20ga that I picked up from them was in rougher shape and was never a very well made action. I've shot it with black but it will never see smokeless or any sort of conversion to a rifle calibre.

Your best bet is to pick up one in either 8mm or 12.7 thats complete (some are missing blocks) but I do realise that they are higher priced. At one time they had some with welded barrels pretty cheap so I grabbed a couple that are waiting to be sent off for a rebuild.
 
I should ask, should I be looking for a remington made rolling block for a build or are one of the other makes just as good?
 
Of the ones that I have all are really well built except for the one shotgun metioned which I dont think had any markings.

I'm pretty sure that most of the guns on Tradeex are made in Scandinavia and are every bit as good as those marked Remington. Possibly even better.

For some more info: http://dutchman.rebooty.com/rb.html

This one takes a bit of hunting around: http://www.skydevaaben.com/index.xml

http://www.svartkrutt.net/articles/vis.php?id=3

And one just to make people drool a bit: h**p://www.lonestarrifle.com/ :D
 
I do believe that the RB's in shotgun calibers have a different receiver thread, and are thinner, which would not make them good options for rebarreling to .45-70.
 
Back
Top Bottom