Reccomend a shooter

randas

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Location
Manitoba
If a guy wanted a legal antique revolver just for a shooter what would you recommend. Something I can load ammo for.

I would consider myself a seasoned gunut, but only recently discovered this section and all its awesomeness :eek: I did not realize the awesomeness of the antique loopholes.
 
Almost like asking what car should I buy. If I were to chose one gun which was the most fool proof, easy to make shells for and easy to repair, it would be a Colt SAA. I would not chose a double action because I consider them harder to repair. I would chose a gun with a good cylinder lock ie a notch in the cylinder that a stop fits into and that indexes the cylinder to the barrel. At least some revolvers are a bit loose in how they lock up into alignment. I would also chose something like a 44 russian or 45 schofield for caliber because of ease of getting components.

The other side of the equation is that you can buy a replica of the Colt SAA made by Ruger or some Italian knockoffs for a small fraction of the cost of an antique Colt and have exactly the same feel and performance

cheers mooncoon
 
Discretion is the better part of awesomness..d:h:
Cap and ball offers no restriction on certain cartridges unlike rim and centerfire.

If I wanted a serious antique revolver I would get an 1860 Colt Army in .44 cal.

I really like cap and ball revolvers as this re-posted picture will illustrate:

RangeAug292011003crop.jpg


Speaking of awesome I have had this for a couple of weeks now: the massive 1847 Whitneyville Walker .44 cal. weighing in at 4.5 pounds and 16 inches OAL:

1847WalkerDec192011003-1.jpg
 
I'd vote for the French Mle 1892 8mm lebel Revolver due to cost, quality of manufacture, reliablity, ease of finding reloading supplies, fiocchi makes factory loads as well.

A bit of an anemic cartridge "that can be made from cut down 32 20 brass" but loads of fun too shoot.

Here is mine in action:
[youtube]Ejh5TT2e7Ys[/youtube]

[youtube]iKcznsvzsjc[/youtube]
 
If a guy wanted a legal antique revolver just for a shooter what would you recommend. Something I can load ammo for.

I would consider myself a seasoned gunut, but only recently discovered this section and all its awesomeness :eek: I did not realize the awesomeness of the antique loopholes.

It's not a "loophole". A loophole in the law is a law written in such a way that it unintentinally leaves open a way to skirt that law. The firearms regulations are intentionally written the way they are. They are not loopholes.

The webley MKI/II service revolvers are good and components are easy to find. fairly easy to repair and work on.

The antique SAA colts are very good pistols but expect prices to start about $4000 and go up from there.
 
Last edited:
The Colt SAA is a real nice, strong gun. They can be had for $3000 in .41 Colt but it's not the easiest cartridge to reload for. You can find them in more modern "off the shelf" calibers but expect to pay $4000-$5000. Parts are quite easy to find, one thing I look for in an antique gun.

I'm quite fond of the Colt 1892 as well. The swing-out cylinder is really cool. I have one in .38spl I just turned into a snubby. :cool:

ETA: You should let us know your price range.
 
Actual "antique" cap and balls are not cheap let alone the issues with finding these antiques in shootin shape.

IMHO, the best antique "shooters" that are relatively easy to find, relatively cheap, and relatively easy to reload are:

Webley Mk I or II converted to 45 acp
Webley Mk I/II in 455
Colt SAAs in 44 spcl or 38 spcl

I put the Webley first due to the price point being around $1300-1800 vice the SAA which run 3k+

Think someone also mentioned the French 92 and I would add the French 73 (think there is one on EE for $750 listed as an 1892)

Reloading for the 73 is easy and you can get supplies from H&C (?) online including a hand reloading kit, cases, and cast bullets.

Just my 2 cents
 
Back
Top Bottom