Recent timeline to deregister antique

jimmerp

Member
Rating - 100%
127   0   0
Location
East
Hi , looking for recent experiences with deregistering antique revolver incorrectly registered as restricted some time ago.
What has been your timeline? dealer or private individual.
Thx Jim
 
Hi , looking for recent experiences with deregistering antique revolver incorrectly registered as restricted some time ago.
What has been your timeline? dealer or private individual.
Thx Jim

I think it depends on what type of antique you are trying to deregister. About 1 year ago, I deregistered a couple of 32 rimfire revolvers without difficulty and it took 1 or 2 weeks. Required two emails to establish the guns were rimfires and the second group of photos was only necessary because some of the writing on the guns was only partially legible. The other extreme is if the revolver is a centerfire gun in which case you will have to prove it was made in an antique caliber and has never been modified into a cartridge on the no go list. To quote the CFP person that I was dealing with; "you cannot make an antique out of a 150 year old prohib". Until a year or two ago, the registry accepted guns which had been changed from "no go cartridges " into cartridges considered to be antique. That appears to be no longer the case

cheers mooncoon
 
The revolver is A webley RIC pattern new model in .476 not shaved or other wise altered. I am confident in the chambering, I am not so sure on the manufacture date. I was under the impression that the new model RIC was made up into the teens but most All of the poduction was antique as the break top MK 1, II, III became the priority.
 
Last edited:
Some of the new model RIC's are antique status and some aren't according to the CFC technicians. Joel Black in his books says that all the solid frames were made before 1898. And they all say Webley & Sons not Webley Scott, but....
 
How do you go about proving a caliber without any markings on the gun? Send measurements?

I sent good clear photos of the cartridge and the cylinder plus the parent no go cartridge which was not fully chambered. I also stated that I was the one who did the work and that the chamber portion of the cylinder had a shoulder preventing the longer no go cartridge from chambering. It is not clear to me what the status of an RCMP letter is , if it was issued 5 or 10 years ago. Almost certainly depends on the individual RCMP examining the document and their knowledge of current law and policies

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom