Recommend a BP cartridge lube recipe?

41 Colt

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
307   0   0
Location
BC
I will need to make lube for an inside lubed BP cartridge. Bullets will be soft pure lead for .41 Long Colt hollow base. I live near a place called the Honey Bee Centre which sells pure filtered cosmetic grade beeswax in 1lb bars for $8.95, so that isn't a problem to get. There are differing recipies online, what you guys here use?

Also, how much lube will I need for say 16,000 bullets?
 
Easiest recipe I know is to call Track of the Wolf, and order some SPG lube, it's the best, and not that expensive. If you really want to make your own, check out the Hoch molds website, they have a number of recipes there.
 
I will need to make lube for an inside lubed BP cartridge. Bullets will be soft pure lead for .41 Long Colt hollow base. I live near a place called the Honey Bee Centre which sells pure filtered cosmetic grade beeswax in 1lb bars for $8.95, so that isn't a problem to get. There are differing recipies online, what you guys here use?

Also, how much lube will I need for say 16,000 bullets?

I'm using 50/50 Bees Wax and Olive oil. It works for me in my single shots, but I wipe between shots so I suppose my demands on lube are not as heavy as if I were blow tubing or shooting a revolver.

You can also buy larger chunks of bees wax from the Honey Bee Centre too by the way. I'm not sure if it's filtered, but it looks the same as the bars to me.

No idea how much you need for 16000 bullets as I haven't shot that many in my entire life :).

Chris.
 
I'll second the SPG. I use it in my 45-70's and 50-70 and only brush the bore about every 20 shots. From the bench we drop rams at 300yds so accuracy doesn't seem to suffer much between brushings :D.
 
I'm using bees wax, crisco and anhydrous lanolin (ask your local drug store). You have to play with the mix to get the feel that you want.

Look to the cast boolits forum or so forth. For black most people say to avoid synthetics and use natural materials. I tend to follow that logic myself.
 
I use 1/2 bees wax and 1/2 bear grease although any animal grease would do as a substitute for bear grease. I am a bit puzzled however; I have both a 41 long colt and a 41 short colt and both use healed bullets ie are outside lubed

cheers mooncoon
 
For pan lubing I like:

- 2/3 Beeswax;
- 1/9 Olive Oil;
- 1/9 Crisco; and
- 1/9 Murphy's Oil Soap.

If you want it softer:

- 1/2 Beeswax
- 1/6 Olive Oil;
- 1/6 Crisco; and
- 1/6 Murphy's Oil Soap.

This is by volume. Melt the Beeswax and the Crisco in the microwave so it can be measured, then record their weights. After you have your recipe, you can just weigh it.
 
Last edited:
Anybody used Murphy's Oil Soap? Could I add one part to the above for some cleaning action? Apparently it will also raise the melting temp of the mix (spontification). I got this from the thread Silverback pointed us to.

I may have to try that. Make it smell pretty if nothing else. I wonder how well the soap will mix with the other ingredients. It should I would think but I tried glycerine one time and it was the old oil and water type thing and could not be blended.

For measuring I have an old gram scale that works well for all the ingredients.

Be careful when heating this sort of stuff too. Some things scorch and some will burn pretty easily if splashed on a burner. Some people use the microwave but I prefer a double boiler made out of a stainless bowl on an old pot of water.
 
I use 1/2 bees wax and 1/2 bear grease although any animal grease would do as a substitute for bear grease. I am a bit puzzled however; I have both a 41 long colt and a 41 short colt and both use healed bullets ie are outside lubed

cheers mooncoon

I have five molds on the way for the .41 Colt: heeled long colt, heeled short colt and three of the later hollow base bullet with a diameter of .386". IT was inside lubed and the hollow base balooned up under the pressure to fill into the rifling.

PS, where do you buy animal grease?
 
I have five molds on the way for the .41 Colt: heeled long colt, heeled short colt and three of the later hollow base bullet with a diameter of .386". IT was inside lubed and the hollow base balooned up under the pressure to fill into the rifling.

PS, where do you buy animal grease?

Go the baking section of your grocery store. You can purchase beef tallow and pork lard - A.K.A. Tenderflake...
 
i use 100% raw beeswax, bear fat & beaver fat,bag balm(100% lanoline) neatsfoot oil,i mix it and remelt it till i have a mixture that has a soft solidify when cooled, then i pan lube my BPCR bullets i have very little or no leading problems, best to melt the beaver fat and bear fat out doors as it has quit the arohma the wife may not like
 
Back
Top Bottom