Since everyone's already familiar with my colt pocket revolvers, figured I'd involve the cgn community in their existance some more.
The two 1849 colts I'm thinking of are in need one work. The mechanically good one was completely polished before I got it and has replacement nipples... no markings left, except for light serial numbers. It's all matching. The other one needs internal work, its screws are in rough shape or are bodged replacements, has a hand made grip, buggered or missing nipples, but maintains a decent patina, even if it's dinged, has a file mark and has some light pitting. All matching as well.
Would I be horribly offending the gun gods by shipping them out to an experienced case hardening gunsmith to have the frames case colour hardened? I'm generally against refinishing guns, but these ones are no longer original, and a professional refurbishment is within my budget. In my mind, this is a chance to restore these guys to their original grandure. What do you guys think?
The two 1849 colts I'm thinking of are in need one work. The mechanically good one was completely polished before I got it and has replacement nipples... no markings left, except for light serial numbers. It's all matching. The other one needs internal work, its screws are in rough shape or are bodged replacements, has a hand made grip, buggered or missing nipples, but maintains a decent patina, even if it's dinged, has a file mark and has some light pitting. All matching as well.
Would I be horribly offending the gun gods by shipping them out to an experienced case hardening gunsmith to have the frames case colour hardened? I'm generally against refinishing guns, but these ones are no longer original, and a professional refurbishment is within my budget. In my mind, this is a chance to restore these guys to their original grandure. What do you guys think?


















































