ReFurbing a Lyman Remington 44

trackofthewolf.com, dixiegun.com.
Track has quite a selection of revolver nipples. Don't know who made the Lyman gun or what size nipple it uses. They have wrenches as well.
 
Rifle nipples are supposed to be a different size from pistol nipples. I bought one of each from a jumbo bucket of cheap nipple wrenches at a black powder swap meet a few years ago. So far I've used the handgun wrench quite a lot but had no need for the rifle size. Seems that folks that owned my BP rifles before me switch to handgun size nipples. Your situation might be the same since I've talked to a few others with handguns that looked surprised since they found that their handgun wrenches fit the longguns as well. So it isn't just me and mine.

New nipples will have the same spaced flats. So the same wrench you use to remove will work to replace.
 
the biggest difference between revolver nipples and rifle nipples is that revolvers are very fussy about how long the nipples are; too long and you cannot revolve the cylinder, too short and the hammer does not strike the cap hard enough. I think the big difference in nipple wrenches is that the diameter of the wrench at the business end is smaller in order for it to fit inside the metal fins that separate the nipples. The one exception that I can think of is that Ruger uses a hexagonal socket type wrench and has a hexagonal base on its nipples

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom