Regimental Marking - Need help

stoggie

CGN Regular
Rating - 99.4%
165   1   0
Location
Alberta
I just bought my first antique - mainly because it was a decent price and I knew I wanted one eventually. I picked up a Snider Enfield MkII** dated 1862. It is all original, but the finish is fair as it has quite a bit of "patina" on it. Luckily it came with its original cleaning rod and nipple protector.

It is DC marked, and I understand the marking on the buttplate may indicate the regiment it was issued to. I was hoping someone can help me decypher it. The marking is as follows.

19
70
2
1

Thanks!
 
Well, without seeing a photo of the markings I can only guess. Photos are really a ne cessity for any identification. There are usually only two numbers on a butt plate tang with the upper being the Regiment or Unit and the lower being the rack number of that particular rifle. So....19th would be "Lincold Battalion of Infantry" and in theory the "70" would be the rack number. I am not familiar with this unit so someone else may be able to help. What are the 2 and 1 ????...I would be guessing. Do you have any history on the rifle or did you buy it "blind"? You say it has an original rod. Is the rod also marked with a British inspector's mark and the "19"? How is the bore? The nipple protector will also have an inspectors stamp, if an original. Has the stock been refinished? I could give you much more info if you just send me pics or call me. My e-mail is <hurlbutc@rideau.net> Dave
 
Here are some pics:

DSC07356.jpg


DSC07366.jpg


Here is the a bunch more:

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/theoriginalstoggie/Snider/

I basically bought this blind at an auction. The price was low so I figured why not. All I know about it is whats in the pics. The wood looks to have never seen sandpaper since it left the factory. Markings are nice and crisp. It is marked DC. The only drawback to the stock is the chip at the toe.

The nipple has no inspector markings, but its evident it has been with the rifle a while as it is beat up and has lots of patina. The cleaning rod too has no markings, but it looks like it is quite old as it matches the rifle in patina and has speckles of old rust from about the mid band down.

The rear sight is missing the slide, and is bent.
 
Oh, and the bore is shiney and rifling is crisp where there isn't pitting :p. I would say that a good quarter of the bore is has pitting, and it is scattered throughout with most of it around the first quarter back from the muzzle.
 
This arm appears to have been issued to two units, the 19th Batt of St Catherines On and the 2nd Batt (Queens Own Rifles ,Toronto). Usually when an arm was withdrawn from one unit and issued to another the original unit marks were cancelled by overstamping them.
 
From the marks not necessarily. Cdn Militia Engineers and Artillery were not issued the apprpriate carbines.
 
Just to answer some questions...the cleaning rod, if genuine, would have an inspector's stamp on the fat portion of the shaft just below the head (crown over a number)...as well, most will also be marked there with the unit and rack number. If it's a repro it will usually have a "join" about 8-10 inches below the head. The snap cap or nipple protector will also have an inspector's stamp on the flat part of the rim. My reference material here shows the 19th to be Lincoln Battalion which was joined with Welland Battalion (Ontario) in 1863. This may explain why the unit numbers were changed! Any Sniders that I have seen that were attributed to the "Queens Own Rifles" have all bee two band and not three. I appears to be a complete rifle in very good condition. It also sounds as if it would make a good shooter. I would disassemble it, oil the metal parts and rub the stock well with boiled linseed oil cut with turpentine (50-50) and soak the interior of the stock well with this and then reassemble. You certainly hurt the value doing this. The small chip at the toe should be repaired by someone who has the proper tools, wood to match and ability. A rear sight slide should be an easy find. PM if I can be of any more assistance. Dave
 
Hi all, thanks for all your help.

I think I will hold on to her for the time being. I don't think I will be shooting it, I am more of a collector than a shooter anyways. I was thinking about repairing the toe. I am pretty good with repairs like this, and have walnut that would match perfectly, but I think I will let it be. The chip is a part of its history, and I love rifles in their original condition and shape. I plan on giving her a warm oil massage and putting her with the rest of the collection :D

I'm glad this rifle has a bit of history and may have seen action in the Fenian raids. Adds to the mystery. Who was the 2nd Battalion/Regiment?

The cleaning rod may then be a reproduction. It does not have any markings at all, and has a splice 5" down from the head, and another splice about 2" from the bottom of the threads.

The nipple too may be repro. There is a strange impression on the rim, but it is not clear so it may be an old dent. Like I said, it is pretty beat up. Here are photos:

DSC07378.jpg


DSC07377.jpg


DSC07376.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom