Alonzo-Apparently you dont understand the configuration of an 1858. The cylinder is removable by just pulling the pin. I am building a new cylinder. I am not altering the original gun in any way.
And besides, its just a $1000 gun.
p.s. the '08 Mustang has been in the driveway and FAST on the highway for a year now!
AN '08...hell, I was talking a 2010
I have had several original 1858's in my hands over the years, some of which were Civil War presentation pieces (the owners {collectors} would never shoot them). I do have an affinity to Colts and Springfield's...the Colts in the collection are the 1849 (ca. 1855), 1851 (ca. 1853) 1860 (ca. 1864) and 1873 (ca. 1879 41 cal)...so far.
I was asked if I had shot my Springfield Model 1865 Allin's 58 rim-fire conversion and my Springfield Model 1866 50-70 Allin's conversion...my reply to the guy was..."Are you f**king nuts?"
OK...I have to admit...I have shot an original Springfield 45-70 trapdoor (no finish, replacement stock, mixed parts) in long range rifle shoots...it likes to eat Shiloh Sharps. I have even used one to shoot BP cartridge rifle competition for years, until I had a custom gun built. At that time there were no new guns which would shoot nearly as well as an original Trapdoor...plus the fact that a 90% trapdoor would sell for about $450, and same condition 1873 Winchesters were about $850. Browning B-78's were around $650.
Be very careful with your project...a $1000 dollar gun is better then a $10 broken gun no matter what age. If you decide to sell after shooting it for a while, I would assume you would inform a buyer you have been shooting it? It may be a factor for a lot of collectors (not so for shooters)...even if it is a no finish gun.
Rehabilitating/restoring a garbage gun is different story...it is and always will be a garbage gun, though in some cases a careful restoration can bring it back to collectible status, maybe not shooting status.
As a collector I would not seriously consider investing in an antique firearm that has been altered or had something recently added/removed in order to be able to shoot it...unless it is something very rare...even then the value would be substantially lower. For the guys who would not think twice about doing this (altering, adding/removing), their stuff will always be in a class of it's own.
OK, I am stepping down from my soap box.
P.S. Good luck on your project...hope it turns out OK>