Forgive my poetic licence in the title...more accurately I released an M1892 French Ordnance Revolver from the clutches of the registry.
Newly acquired antique status, it is an F prefix serial, 1894 barrel date. I'd say excellent condition, beautiful bore, sharp checkering on the grips. The one on the left is sadly a later serial number/1924 barrel date that will never escape the registry. It is in "good" condition, worn finish, worn checkering on grips and a slight bulge in the barrel half way along. Definitely has seen a lot of service. Interesting to note that the lockwork/hammer/trigger etc. of the early one is finished in the white with a slight yellowish tinge, whereas all the 1924 version parts are blued.
I bought them as a pair about 30 years ago, the 1894 was $100.00 and the previous owner threw in the 1924 for $25.00. I didn't really want it but since we were doing the registration paperwork and he really wanted to get rid of it, I took it also. So I finally got around to getting the 1894 deregistered/antique status and I am busily acquiring brass, dies, bullet mold etc. Before the summer is over, this "French lion will roar again !!!" (ok,ok...I know...8mm...how about, "this French poodle will give a high pitched whiny yelp again"...)
I have considered a number of options for the 1924.
1. Sell it. Given the condition and bulged barrel, I doubt it would fetch much. Maybe as a placeholder for someone who has a hole in their collection at best.
2. Since I am going to start shooting the 1894, maybe strip the 1924 for parts. I took a look at price and availability of Lebel parts at Numrich. In the event of a breakage, I'm pretty sure trying to buy parts like the main spring, cylinder, hammer, trigger, pawl, grips, ejector rod and assorted springs/screws would cost more than any money I made selling it.
3. Donate it to a local museum that is interested, for a tax receipt and "future considerations".
Any thoughts ? (Especially from anyone who has been shooting one of these and has faced the horror of parts breakage and replacement).
Anyway, thought you would enjoy seeing pics of one more antique that is now running free.
Newly acquired antique status, it is an F prefix serial, 1894 barrel date. I'd say excellent condition, beautiful bore, sharp checkering on the grips. The one on the left is sadly a later serial number/1924 barrel date that will never escape the registry. It is in "good" condition, worn finish, worn checkering on grips and a slight bulge in the barrel half way along. Definitely has seen a lot of service. Interesting to note that the lockwork/hammer/trigger etc. of the early one is finished in the white with a slight yellowish tinge, whereas all the 1924 version parts are blued.
I bought them as a pair about 30 years ago, the 1894 was $100.00 and the previous owner threw in the 1924 for $25.00. I didn't really want it but since we were doing the registration paperwork and he really wanted to get rid of it, I took it also. So I finally got around to getting the 1894 deregistered/antique status and I am busily acquiring brass, dies, bullet mold etc. Before the summer is over, this "French lion will roar again !!!" (ok,ok...I know...8mm...how about, "this French poodle will give a high pitched whiny yelp again"...)
I have considered a number of options for the 1924.
1. Sell it. Given the condition and bulged barrel, I doubt it would fetch much. Maybe as a placeholder for someone who has a hole in their collection at best.
2. Since I am going to start shooting the 1894, maybe strip the 1924 for parts. I took a look at price and availability of Lebel parts at Numrich. In the event of a breakage, I'm pretty sure trying to buy parts like the main spring, cylinder, hammer, trigger, pawl, grips, ejector rod and assorted springs/screws would cost more than any money I made selling it.
3. Donate it to a local museum that is interested, for a tax receipt and "future considerations".
Any thoughts ? (Especially from anyone who has been shooting one of these and has faced the horror of parts breakage and replacement).
Anyway, thought you would enjoy seeing pics of one more antique that is now running free.
Last edited:


















































